lowest lph for Hillies?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

kaz

lowest lph for Hillies?

Post by kaz » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:54 pm

I would love to get some hillstream loaches, but only have 1300lph external filter.

Am I right in remembering they need 2000lph minimum???

Any info gratefully recvd.

Kaz

SgtMajWiggles

Re: lowest lph for Hillies?

Post by SgtMajWiggles » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:55 pm

How big is your tank?

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:10 pm

There is really no minimum flow rate for hillstreams. Many people have even had hillstreams spawn in low flow conditions but with good oxygen levels. However, if you want to see them in their natural environment , then higher flow is recommended.

kaz

Post by kaz » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:10 pm

Thank you!

I would ideally have my tank set up in a 'river flow' way - my tank is 4ftx2ftx2ft :) But they would be in the aforementioned 4ft tank with 1300lph external filter. Good enough? Or re-think?

Thank you all for your time.

Kaz

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:16 pm

I am not sure I understand. Do you plan on only having a 1300 lph external filter in the tank?
If so, how would you create the "rver flow"?

kaz

Post by kaz » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:40 pm

Sorry for the confusion Jim. I guess what I am trying to ask is - I have an external filter to begin with with it's 1300lph capability - is it enough as it is? And if not, what else will I need to create adequate 'river flow accomodation' for hillies? Another of the same and....?

Thanks

ps
I am having problems now with the external filter. I went away for the weekend - asked my housemate to keep eye on the filter and if any probs to let me know (and feed fish of course! :wink: ). I have discovered it is making a racket and is creating air bubbles through the outflow, but seems to be just as strong. I have opened it up, checked all is clean and in working order and then put it back tog. But then to find a small hole (i suspect the kitten did it :( ) in one of the hoses (to the inflow). Would this hole affect the filter in this way? Or is it sthg else? I have ordered new hoses and have patched the hole for now,but the filter is not the same as before!
Any advice truely welcomed :)

Kaz

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:02 pm

That's a good flow, so I suspect it will be enough. You can always add more later if you want to.
It sounds like you are doing the right thing with the filter. I can't think of anything else to add.
Good luck!!