Mixing Different Loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

awelton

Mixing Different Loaches

Post by awelton » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:42 am

Greetings! Been visiting this site for a short time for all the great information on the ever lovin' Loaches, but had a question or two if no one minds. ;-)

Recently started my 40g tank back up and it is in the cycling stages now (going the fishless cycle route), I am currently planning on going 4-5 Kuli Loaches (whenever I find them, and not the black kuli's, though they are kind of cute too) and 4 of one of the other smaller loaches (zebra or yoyo probably), really love the clown loach, but too small of a tank sadly. These would be the main fish in the tank, so was just wondering if there would be a problem in mixing them together. Possibly a small school of tetra's to provide some activity at the mid/top water area.

Too much? Not a good mix? Thanks in advance!

*EDIT* As a P.S. - would a weather loach be too big for this tank?

SgtMajWiggles

Re: Mixing Different Loaches

Post by SgtMajWiggles » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:07 pm

Definitely go for the zebras - my biggest fish is a yoyo and she is 7 inches. Zebras are fun active fish and they max out at 4 in. I'd go with a group of 5. I have not kept them with kuhlis but I imagine this would be fine. Is it a 4' 40 gal? I'd say you could put a group of small dither fish in there, as well. Just not something that's going to breed out of control since you aren't working with tons of real-estate.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:08 pm

Hi awelton, welcome to Loaches Online :D

The botiid species, such as the Zebra loaches (Botia striata) that you are considering, prefer much more current in the aquarium to that of the eel loaches (kuhlis) who tend to live in calmer waters. I'd advise choosing one or the other and cater to their particular needs. Go for a good sized group of whichever you choose and make sure the loaches are the last addition if this is a new set up, to give the tank time to mature a bit. If you provide lots of cover and some peaceful shoaling dither fish, you should see plenty of your chosen loaches. If you want to keep with an Asian theme, have a look at some of the smaller barbs or Rasbora species as possible dithers.

Hope this helps,
Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

KittyKat

Post by KittyKat » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:29 pm

What are the dimensions of the aquarium?

I would definitely recommend closer to 10 khuli loaches, they're very social fish and can be a bit shy in smaller numbers. If you go for another species as well (maybe dwarf chain loaches would be more appropriate, depending on your tank size), then I recommend at least 6 of those as they shoal.

Tetras would be a decent choice, again schooling/shoaling fish, so I would recommend 10-15 of one species (6 is absolute minimum, but there's no excuse for that few when stocking a new tank), although 10-15 rasboras or barbs might be a better alternative as you could go down the "Asian fish" route.
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (ex- guide for beginners) | Flickr