Do horseface loaches really do best in groups?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

LoverOfLoaches

Do horseface loaches really do best in groups?

Post by LoverOfLoaches » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:15 am

I've read conflicting info on the internet...with some sources saying that Acantopsis Choirorhynchos is territorial toward conspecifics and that it is best to keep only one--with other resources telling me that they do better in groups. Anyone who has kept them--which do you find they flourish with? Are they more active, hiding less, when kept in a group? How about in a small group of 2 or 3?

starsplitter7

Re: Do horseface loaches really do best in groups?

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:53 pm

I have about 8 Horsefaces living together. The come out to eat together, sleep together, swim together, and I have never seen them agressive to each other or any other fish. i have two in quarantine, and I can't imagine owning them singly.

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:40 pm

I would like to see these. Any pictures please?

Ah, there are some satisfying pictures on this site.

Does this make an interesting fish to keep?

I seem to know only that they hide in sand a lot.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:24 pm

That really is it. What makes them interesting? :) I think they are great. I look at the sand. No fish. But look again and there are eyes and noses looking back. And they come out when they are fed. Also if you find the dwarf ones they are not nearly as shy and you will find them sitting on the decore, and they are very small 2-2.5 inches. Just as cute as the big ones.

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:55 am

Yes, I see what you mean. I do find them interesting.

Thanks for replying.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

kimura

Post by kimura » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:18 pm

I have two in my 75 gallon and one is out quite a lot and the other I rarely see any more. They would rest
next to each other quite often and I have never see any aggression between them.

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:04 pm

I now realise through the information provided here that long ago, when I knew considerably less about our hobby, I saw what were probably the Dwarf Horseface Loach Acanthopsoides molobrion in one of my local fish shops.

They appeared to be very sociable and were housed on sand which they continually filtered through their gills. This gave them a most interesting appearance, despite their lack of colour compared to most of the aquarium fish then on sale.

My parents (who were paying the bills after all) used to critisise my choice of "colourless" fish, which were to me far more interesting.

Of course with our Clown Loaches we can have it all!

I was fascinated, but being determined not to impulse buy I did not purchase them and when I went back for another look they had all gone (one hopes to suitable homes). I have not seen them since. This thread sparked my memory and my interest.

I would like to keep this species some time in the future.

In a 4ft tank with sand that might one day house them I have many small catfish, dwarf frogs, ghost shrimp and a hillstream loach and despite being "colourless" these animals provide wonderful entertainment.