Buying a new powerhead

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

millsn

Buying a new powerhead

Post by millsn » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:36 am

I was wondering about this.
I'm looking at a Tunze turbelle 6105 which is controllable between 3000 and 13000 litres/hour. My present powerheads are rated at up to 5500 litres/hour and make little impact on the flow in a 6x2x2 as far as clowns are concerned so I thought I'd try something bigger.

A few questions for anyone able to help..
1) Does anyone else use similar flows in such a sized tank?
2) If so, does anyone know if you can get a suitable grating for the front of that particular pump as it seems to be too open for use with inquisitive fish species
3) Lastly as a passing thought. Does anyone use a wavebox with clowns? I'm interested to know whether the effect is ( as I would expect) inappropriate.

Many thanks in anticipation

bookpage

Re: Buying a new powerhead

Post by bookpage » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:02 pm

Do not know anything about them, but just did a search and found the below. To me, it seems a little over kill for a fresh water tank. And, really expensive.

Click on the tab for reviews. http://tinyurl.com/3tgjotf
240 - Clowns(15), Polka-Dot(6), Sids(57), Zebra(12), Burmese(5), Red-fin(4), YoYo(5), Sumo(2), Skunk(4), Peckoltia sabaji(1), L144 Black Eye Bristlenose Pleco(3), Odessa Barb(9), Roseline Sharks(6)

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bookpage1

millsn

Post by millsn » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:36 pm

Just read the reviews, they like em don't they?

KittyKat

Post by KittyKat » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:22 pm

I use those type of pumps on freshwater and marine aquariums, I find them nice for circulation. Because they do not have an direct flow, as traditional pumps or filter outlets would, it is possible to use one which would normally be overkill without much downside. If you want an example of how strong the direct flow is, a pair of my blue rams have made a home in front of a 900 lph one, so they will spend most of their time swimming as close as a few cm away from the front of it without any visible effort.

I haven't tried the Tunze ones, only the Hydor ones.
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (ex- guide for beginners) | Flickr