Why do they do this?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

millsn

Why do they do this?

Post by millsn » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:39 pm

All my loaches are mooching about the tank, nothing unusual there. My biggest loach has (in the last few days) taken to zooming vertically up and down the left and side of the tank, all on his/her own. Doesn't seem anxious in any way. I always wonder if they see their reflection.
Can anyone offer any reason why they do this? If there's two at it you'd call it loachy dancing which I've seen them do in new surroundings or when meeting new loaches. Why should one take to doing it on its own?

EAlba

Re: Why do they do this?

Post by EAlba » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:06 pm

i dont know either that is something i would line to know too... i have a hillstream loach (sewellia lineolata) and it goes to the air tube for the bubbles swims up to the top latches itself to the tube and how i dont know but slides down the tube all the way to the bottom and then goes back up to do it again. maybe in my situation he is playing.... it reminds me of a kid going down a slide :)

Dojosmama

Post by Dojosmama » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:48 am

You haven't told us what kind of loaches you have.

If you have weather loaches (dojos), they naturally go bonkers when there a change in barometric pressure, and a pending change in the weather. Even when there isn't, they tend to be playful and acrobatic. Because they can store oxygen within themselves, it's natural for them to shoot to the surface for a bubble of air, then shoot back down through the water. They can be quite comical, at times.

Another issue could be the temperature of your tank. If you have dojos, they're cooler water fish. If your tank temperature is above 70F, they could start getting uncomfortable. Prolonged stays in water too warm for them could shorten their lives.

If your loaches are looking healthy and eating well, I wouldn't worry. They're probably just playing loachy games and enjoying themselves.

-- Dojosmama

millsn

Post by millsn » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:35 am

Thanks for the responses.
It's not a worry, they're all fine. I was just wondering for the n'th time :)
I have clown loach and they're at 82 F