my clown loach is on its own will it be ok ???

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

jordan

my clown loach is on its own will it be ok ???

Post by jordan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:02 pm

one of my cown lo have died i only have one left now it must of been throw the stress with the ick thay had about a week aago will my clown loach b ok on its own intill i can buy some more clown friends for him he has neon tetras with him at the mo

starsplitter7

Re: my clown loach is on its own will it be ok ???

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:21 pm

He will be fine. I just went through the same thing myself. The first thing you need to do is eradicate the ick completely. Keep doing small water changes and vaccuming every day. After you have not seen ick for at least three weeks then you can get new clowns, but make sure you set up a quaratine tank and keep the new ones for a minimum of 3 weeks in the Q tank.

You also need to figure out why you got ick.
Is your tank cycled?
How long has it been set up?
What is the temp?
What is the size of the tank?
What is your decore?
What is your substrate?
How much do you feed and how often?

jordan

Post by jordan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:38 pm

starsplitter7 wrote:He will be fine. I just went through the same thing myself. The first thing you need to do is eradicate the ick completely. Keep doing small water changes and vaccuming every day. After you have not seen ick for at least three weeks then you can get new clowns, but make sure you set up a quaratine tank and keep the new ones for a minimum of 3 weeks in the Q tank.

You also need to figure out why you got ick.
Is your tank cycled?
How long has it been set up?
What is the temp?
What is the size of the tank?
What is your decore?
What is your substrate?
How much do you feed and how often?
thank god for that you dont know what a relife that is lol and i did have the tank on 80 c i think to kill the ick as well as treating them with ick stuff and i droped the water a bit and did some cleaning on the tank the ick has gone from the fish now so i droped it yesterday and droped the temp again today now its on 28 think i will keep it to that as my tank is about 2 foot long 2 foot high and about a foot at the side im crap with dimentions lol so i will just stick to the feet lol and its been set up for about 6 weeks i have had the fish about 2 weeks i have a brocken pot in there and some wood with a plants growing on it also i have sand substrate and i feed them twise a day 3 times sometimes

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:54 pm

I wouldn't feed so often. Have you checked your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels? I feed my fish once a day and skip a day once a week. The only fish that get fed more often are fry, Fish are cold blooded and do not need to use energey to regulate their tempeture. If you overfeed your fish, the water quality fials and your fish will get sick.

Keep your temp at least 78, I usually keep my water at 82.

Your tank will be too small for clowns in the long run. You will need a tank with a minimum of 4-6' by the time they are 3-4 inches. And clowns need to be in a group of 6 or more.

jordan

Post by jordan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:04 pm

[quote="starsplitter7"]I wouldn't feed so often. Have you checked your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels? I feed my fish once a day and skip a day once a week. The only fish that get fed more often are fry, Fish are cold blooded and do not need to use energey to regulate their tempeture. If you overfeed your fish, the water quality fials and your fish will get sick.

Keep your temp at least 78, I usually keep my water at 82.

Your tank will be too small for clowns in the long run. You will need a tank with a minimum of 4-6' by the time they are 3-4 inches. And clowns need to be in a group of 6 or more.[/q

yep i testerd the water and everythings come out ok and my clown loach are only small atthe mo proberly the sizeof you little finger maybe a little smaller and there goin into my 4ft tank as soon as thay et a bit bigger then i have plans for them in the future with tanks and i think thay could of got ick bcouse i got my clowns an then two week latr i got my neons maybe i got my neons too fast

jordan

Post by jordan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:04 pm

oh and i will turn the temp up to 72c

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:19 pm

72 F (22C) or 82 (28C)? 72 will kill clowns. (Temp needs to be 25.5-28 C or 78-82 degrees.) If it is 72, that would explain why the clowns and tetras are dying and getting ick. Both need warm water.

Also were the readings 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and less than 20 Nitrate? There are no other acceptable numbers.

Lots of people think .25-.5 ammonia and 20-60 Nitrate is acceptable. Those readings kill.

Move the clowns into a 4' tank as soon as possible. The stunt pretty easily. I have 1.5 clowns and 1.25" kubotai in a 55 gallon tank.

jordan

Post by jordan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:05 am

ya sorry lol i didnt mean to put the c on the end of 27 got knows why i did my heater hasent even got 27c on it lol must of been becouse i put c on the other temp haha anyways yes iv put it on 28c

KittyKat

Post by KittyKat » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:46 am

starsplitter7 wrote:72 F (22C) or 82 (28C)? […] (Temp needs to be 25.5-28 C or 78-82 degrees.) If it is 72, that would explain why the [… neon] tetras are dying and getting ick. Both need warm water.
I don't know about the clown loaches, but neons should, in my experience (keeping neons which lived to 13 years old) and from everything I have read, be fine at 72 F (22 C): many tropical aquarium fish have to put up with a range of temperatures throughout the year in their natural environment (very often varying from 16-30 C), but show ideal colouration at around 22-23 C. There are also records of neons being collected between 20 and 26 C in the wild. I would be very wary of keeping neons at 28 C (82 F) in the long term as I inagine the temperature to be too high for healthy metabolism rates.

At least in neons, ich is often encouraged by poor water conditions (for example, very hard water), stress (a clown loach which is bothering them, maybe?) poor decor (few plants -> nowhere to hide), being kept in small schools (under 6, they feel less secure) and, of course, by introduction of an infected fish. Prescribed cure is increasing the temperature to 29-30 C to speed up the life cycle of the parasite (as jordan has done) and treating with medication.
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (ex- guide for beginners) | Flickr

jordan

Post by jordan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:36 am

thanks kat some nice info there and thanks to you all my clown loach and tetras are all fee of ick now touch wood and look happy enough my lown loach i being a clown lol speeding up and down the tank and hanging out with the tetras funny eoungh and the tetras are just being them selfs swiming together and sometimes chesseing eatchother haha im goin to get a little tank for when i get a my clown loach a friend and also for when buying new fish in the furutre im not chanseing loseing any more fish if i have something to do with it thanks again your all stars lol :)

jordan

Post by jordan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:52 am

i have tuck some pics and a video of m clown loach just to show you all how small he is lol he came upto the glassto me today as well im well happy of how happy he is on his own with just the neons

jordan

Post by jordan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:21 pm

does enyone know who you put pics up ?

Craig_

Post by Craig_ » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:32 pm

HOW TO POST PICTURES (instructions and pics!) http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22746

jordan

Post by jordan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:03 pm

Craig_ wrote:HOW TO POST PICTURES (instructions and pics!) http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22746
thanks