Lizard/Gecko loach care?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Azmeaiel

Lizard/Gecko loach care?

Post by Azmeaiel » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:48 pm

hello. I was wondering if anyone knows of the correct diet, care, water parameters etc for these guys, also any info on possible breeding. I have looked at the topic in the species section but it has very limited info. Any help would be appreciated

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:26 pm

Well, first of all, I am very envious!!!
You are very fortunate to have the hard to find, homapotera confuzona, one of the most sought after hillstream loaches.
I have had them, but lost my last one about a year ago. I will be lucky to find them again.
These fish, like all hillstreams, require clean, well oxygenated water, with current flow. Smooth flat stones to rest on in the flow are also appreciated. They will eat bloodworms, brine shrimp as well as pelleted foods and flakes.
I have not heard of anyone breeding these fish, but we can only hope it will happen.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:54 pm

Where is your location Azmeaiel? And most importantly! Where did you find the H. confuzona.

Lovely looking specimen. :D

Azmeaiel

Post by Azmeaiel » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:47 pm

I am from Tasmania Australia. One of my local LPS owners is an 'Oddball' enthusiast and gets them in as 'lizardfish' a lot of very interesting asian loaches have been turning up listed under common names like around 4 species of hillstream loach listed as borneo sucker. Aus has a lot of imports from asia so I am guessing these are just mixed wild caught specimins.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:01 pm

You might want to check out this article.
http://www.loaches.com/hillstream_loaches.html
by Martin Thoene.

Azmeaiel

Post by Azmeaiel » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:41 am

Thankyou for the article (finally had time to read it) seems they will be ok in my 10 gal with over-sized powerhead and in-lid 'waterfall' type filter, it was a kit and I have been reluctant to use it as the current is much too strong for most normal fish. I have noticed the little guy has taken to a spot directly on the intake of the powerhead, he is not agressive in way of chasing fish but I have noticed he is incredibly defensive of his hiding spot, viciously biting anything that moves that comes within 1 inch of its head, when out and browsing for food the fish shows none of this behavior.