Lizard ID

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Azur

Lizard ID

Post by Azur » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:02 pm

Got a small group of lizard-type loaches, but am unsure what species it is. I checked the species list, and it's pretty similar to Liniparhomaloptera disparis, but it's not a perfect match, so any pointers welcome. They're approximately 4 cm SL. Seem to prefer wood to rock. If these rather poor photos aren't good enough for ID I'll take better tomorrow.

Jim Powers

Re: Lizard ID

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:57 pm

It looks like you might have two similar species.
The top pic looks like Homaloptera tweediei since the pectoral and pelvic fins don't overlap.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/ho ... a-tweediei
The second pic looks like the similar species, Homaloptera smithi.
In smithi, the pectoral and pelvic fins slightly overlap.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/homaloptera-smithi

Azur

Post by Azur » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:15 am

Jim Powers wrote:It looks like you might have two similar species.
Yes, it does seem that way.
However, none of them have the dark lower lobe of the tail fin typical of tweediei, so either that character isn't 100%, or it's smithi + something else.

When I saw them in the shop I thought they were L. disparis, but it appears I got somewhat more challenging species. They're eating well and seem happy, so perhaps it'll work out.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:22 am

Tweediei doesn't have the dark lower lobe on its tail, H. zollingeri does. The way the tail is folded in the picture, gives the appearance of a dark lower lobe.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/ho ... zollingeri

Azur

Post by Azur » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:40 pm

Ah, I got them mixed up - thanks!

Azur

Post by Azur » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:54 pm

I think there's two more species in the group... I got a photo of one of them, this guy:

It's got much further between the pectoral and the ventral fins than the others, plus it "browses" surfaces like a herbivorous hillstream loach (the smithii and tweediei never do this).

I'm thinking maybe Homaloptera yunnanensis?

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:59 pm

got one similar to the last one of your pic's. I think the experts are still disussing that one ;-) I found today, as it gets older, the pattern on the side starts to break up a lttle, need to compare older photos and see whether I can get new pIc's taken, it is the shyer one amongst my homaloptera.

direct link

link to view full size

Last edited by wasserscheu on Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wolfram

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:00 pm

managed to get some pic's today, the pic's from the above posting are from May/June 2011, I only have one of this kind, all photos are from the same individual - it was amongst H.tweediei/smithi. The top-view appears to keep the 7 blotches, the siedeview changes into a more detailed pattern, as it grows.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o143 ... 016a-F.jpg

Wolfram

Azur

Post by Azur » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:30 am

Attractive fish you have there. Is the green sheen real?

I guess I'll call my fish Homaloptera sp. cf. yunnanensis for the time being then. Shame I only got one.

These smithii & tweediei are obviously small predators, how big things will they chow down? Would newly hatched ancistrus become food?

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:05 pm

I assume I have the same fish as you do and unfourtunately I also have only one of that kind, it shares the tank with one smithii/tweediei one homaloptera orthogoniata a Sicyopterus and a Stiphodon. That tank keeps me always looking at them, and as they are so cool relaxed, I even wonder to change that at all (they are due to get into a much bigger tank with Sewellia and Gastromyzon ae well as mire stiphodon, and I am not sure wether I shall risk their harmony).

That green becomes visible with the flash (compact cam) I am sure yours looks the same under "true light", with naked eye I noticed a view weeks after getting it, that it is different coloured than the smithii/tweediei type, but not as much as on some pic's, it was not visible in the first days. My Y.caudipunctata show nice goldpoder, once flashed at in a certain angle. I found taking pics from the bootom rear view towards the fish, sometimes brings out nice colours. The H. orthogoniata can show rusty-red. It would be surprising how colourful some fish show under sunlight. I am not sure though, how much that greenish plastic container (for plant growth tests) would reflect green?

This pic. further away from the container, but still has some green (algae stone), perhaps they camouflage?

link to view full size

THe smithii/tweediei are surprisingly good hunters, depending on how big the hunter is and how small the babies, well I could imagine they could go for it. But babies know how to hide. Once they notice there is someone after them they get smart. I smile, when I see mine staring at thawed Bloodworms - and then jump - at one, as if it were a dangarous worm.

Here a smithii/tweediei - hunting - video from Thomas,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFgycSNcJDU

Thomas also has experience with "our fish"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o37k9DW ... re=related
Wolfram