Plankton for loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

quangfee

Plankton for loaches

Post by quangfee » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:11 am

Hi, I'm wondering if Plankton is safe for loaches, and will they like it?
Thanks

KittyKat

Re: Plankton for loaches

Post by KittyKat » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:47 pm

Are you talking about tiny free-swimming plants of freshwater origin? If yes, then yes.

If you're talking about marine plankton, then probably not because many loaches are sensitive to salt. If you're talking about bacteria and archaea, then probably not as well, although I'm not sure if these could cause any harm to the loaches..
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (ex- guide for beginners) | Flickr

quangfee

Post by quangfee » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:10 am

I'm sorry for replying so late, because I've been busy.
The Plakton I have is the same with this one
Freeze dired Plankton
http://www.marinedepot.com/San_Francisc ... FD-vi.html

KittyKat

Post by KittyKat » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:03 am

The photo of the food you liked to looks more like small crustaceans than plankton, especially since plankton is small enough that individual bits should not be visible to the naked eye. I can't see a problem with feeding crustaceans to loaches as part of a balanced diet if the food is washed and prepared properly, which anything made commercially should be.
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (ex- guide for beginners) | Flickr

quangfee

Post by quangfee » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:40 am

KittyKat wrote:The photo of the food you liked to looks more like small crustaceans than plankton, especially since plankton is small enough that individual bits should not be visible to the naked eye. I can't see a problem with feeding crustaceans to loaches as part of a balanced diet if the food is washed and prepared properly, which anything made commercially should be.
Oh, so it's not like what the label's said? I bought this for my land Hermit crabs but the smell is too strong :( , and it's kind of waste if I throw it away. If it's fine, I'll try to feed them a little to day.
Thank you so much