stupid country restrictions

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ClownLoachSharky

stupid country restrictions

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:03 am

Well, today i found out that you can only get 5 loaches into Australia because of quarantine restrictions. Now they are Clown Loach, Yo Yo Loach, Khuli Loach, Dwarf Chain Loach and Borneo Sucker. :cry:
That really saddens me :( because i love the Zebra Loach, Rosy loach and Bengal Loach but i guess i cant get any of them.
Anyway, Happy Loach Keeping :cry:
You wouldnt have that problem with a V8

glenna

Re: stupid country restrictions

Post by glenna » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:59 pm

WOW, what a bummer
I guess they have their reasons.
Still, you have FIVE good types to experiment with and enjoy. I especially love my clowns and know they will give me years and years of pleasure as long as I keep up my part of the bargain!
What exactly do you have at this point?
glenna

glenna

Post by glenna » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:00 pm

WOW, what a bummer
Still, you have FIVE good types to experiment with and enjoy. I especially love my clowns and know they will give me years and years of pleasure as long as I keep up my part of the bargain!
glenna

glenna

Post by glenna » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:01 pm

WOW, what a bummer
glenna

glenna

Post by glenna » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:02 pm

yikes, I do not know why this posted THREE times (I know I am fascinating, but wow!)
sorry 'bout that
glenna

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:59 am

Haha lol, how did that happen, the most ive posted accidentally is 2 :lol:

mattyd

Post by mattyd » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:07 pm

I'm in Brisbane, and only last weekend I managed to find Botia Kubotai at a large petstore. I bought 15 of them, but at $20 each it wasn't a cheap exercise. There were still about 15 left. They were reffered to as 'Golden Chain loaches' or something. Some of the guys in the store knew exactly what they were, but they weren't advertising the fact because they are not on our allowable import list in Australia. To the untrained eye, they could actually look like small yoyo loaches.

I have already got about 15 Kubotai that I have collected from stores and other fish keepers over the last few years. So once these new guys pass quaranteen (in a 4ft tank full of cherry shrimp and snails), they will then go into their new 6ft tank home.
I also have about the same number of Zebra loaches (Striata). I am hoping to breed all of them at some stage (once they are big and old enough and have those huge bellies).

With regards to the Borneo suckers, I have found another local pet store that can get them in and frequently gets in 4-6 different species in the one lot of 10 fish at a time - ie, yellow fins, blue fins, pink fins, stripes/spots over the body, black or brown colouring. I had a huge collection of over 20 in a tank but unfortunately I had a dragon fly get into the house without me noticing and it laid eggs in about 3 different tanks (I didn't have glass lids on them).... turns out that that one dragon fly laid enough eggs that hatched into enough lavae that killed/bit 17 of my borneo suckers/sewellia, as well as a couple of kuhli loaches and kitty tetras. I haven't had the courage to go and buy replacement ones, but I will at some stage. I used to love seeing the flashes of bright yellow and pinks and blues as they chased each other off the algae covered rocks.

Fish Chicks here in Brisbane will ship fish all over Australia, and she can get in the Sewellia and other different gastromyzon and beufortia species.

I am still looking for the Dario, Rostrata, and Histrionica loaches though.

Matt
Last edited by mattyd on Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5ft long rocky hillstream tank - Sewellia lineolata and spotted... and lots (and lots) of spotted fry
8ft Clown loach tank: 30+ clown loaches, 10+ Yoyos.
6ft tank for 16x botia kubotai, 13x Striata, 6x Sidthimunki - I need more sids

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:52 am

wow, thanks for that. will be sure to check that site. by the way where did you get the zebras and do you know the name of the place that sold the kubotia?

zenins

Post by zenins » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:25 pm

mattyd wrote:I am still looking for the Dario, Rostrata, and Histrionica loaches though.
I am lucky that have those three species, and more :D

Apparently, rules are changing here in Canada tomorrow, December 1st, but I have not been able to find the restricted fish list.
From what I have heard, many restricted species are from South-East Asia, so I hope that does not include loaches :?
They are trying to protect native game fish here from parasites and diseases.
Zenin

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:03 am

That's a load of crap. You should stock up high on loaches just in case :)

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:59 am

I just figured something out :D At this pace, in a few years they should have zebras as regulars around. if not, I'll have to move to Canada :lol: