Baby Kuhli Loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

missy1017

Baby Kuhli Loaches

Post by missy1017 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:40 pm

I have a 55 gallon aquarium set up and for the second time I have babies. Is there anything special I need to do for them? I would try to catch them but I have several bigger fish and don't want them to end up as fish food. I have a decoration of a house in the tank that they love to hide under, other fish can't get to them there. I figure that it is safer. They are definitely baby loaches I've watched the last ones get bigger. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

glenna

Re: Baby Kuhli Loaches

Post by glenna » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:53 pm

I am afraid to say I have no suggestions, but think the idea of baby kuhlis is wonderful!
You mentioned that you maybe had other sets of babies before that lived? How are they doing (if they are doing well, then I guess YOU should be giving the advice!!)

VERY exciting and if you have any pics that would be great.
glenna

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:22 am

Someday, I want to breed kuhlis :mrgreen:
You wouldnt have that problem with a V8

missy1017

Post by missy1017 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:30 pm

This past summer I picked up the house decoration I have in the aquarium and seen two babies, not to sound gross but they are the size of fish poop. I immediately put it down so they are protected. From what I can tell only one lived, since I have so many hiding spots its hard to tell but I've only seen three at a time.
I would love to get a picture of the new ones, which there are three, but I don't want them to become fish food.
When I did lift up the house they went crazy trying to find somewhere to hide, one of them didn't know where to go so it burried its head in the gravel but its back end was still sticking out. It looked kind of cute! A little like an ostrich.

The only suggestion I have for trying to breed them is I bought a house at Petsmart it has a front porch with a wheel on it. The bottom has a little gap under it that the loaches can hide in and other fish can't get to. Not the hole under the front porch. I think its one reason I keep having babies. This is in a 55 gallon tank.

glenna

Post by glenna » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:55 pm

very cool!
good luck getting the babies to adulthood
glenna

missy1017

Post by missy1017 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:56 pm

While cleaning the aquarium tonight there was something in the gravel and it might be eggs of more loaches. I left that area alone and I did get pictures but I'm unsure of how to post them on here. I also took pictures of the last set of babies. If someone could tell me how to download or copy them I'll gladly post the pictures. If its not babies maybe someone can tell me what it is.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:00 am

Upload the pictrues to a hosting site like photobucket. Copy the img file and put in your post, then click preview and make sure it worked. :)

WOuld love to see pictures. WOuld be nice if you could protect those babies. Pretty fantastic you have them.

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:22 am

was so tempted to get some today but got 2 yoyos instead.
You wouldnt have that problem with a V8

missy1017

Post by missy1017 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:55 pm

This baby is about a month and half old and is about an inch long.

missy1017

Post by missy1017 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:57 pm

Here are some more pictures of the babies, there is one in the front and another in the back. The back end of one of the parents you can see in front of the baby in the back of the tank.

missy1017

Post by missy1017 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:00 pm

This might be the start of more babies (eggs) when I cleaned out the aquarium this was under the house (decoration), and the parents were not happy. We left it alone, since we turned off the electric strip to the aquarium I used a flashlight to make sure it wasn't disturbed in cleaning plus easier to see when taking the picture.

glenna

Post by glenna » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:25 pm

yeah! babies!!!
I love my kuhlis, and see that yours must be VERY happy.
Thanks for posting the pics. I will be interested in seeing how those "eggs" play out. I have no idea what their eggs look like, but from the photos, that is certainly promising.
glenna

missy1017

Post by missy1017 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:52 pm

I've only seen the babies never the eggs. This is why I think it might be eggs. The only time I lift up the house is to clean it or once in awhile looking for fish. Now I look for babies! I'll check in a week or two and see if there are babies.

groovyfishguy

Post by groovyfishguy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:15 am

Very Groovy!