Tank Mates for Banded Tiger Loach?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

twocents

Tank Mates for Banded Tiger Loach?

Post by twocents » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:24 pm

Hi All,

I have had a 100 litre community aquarium for about 8 years and thank God so far no major issues. About 18 months ago, I bought a Banded Tiger Loach from the local fish store. I didn't know what he was at the time and, after a couple of fin nip attacks I had to move him to a separate aquarium. When I bought him he was slightly less than an inch in length. Since then he has grown to about 1.5 inches! I know that he will (hopefully) get to about 12 inches. In the meantime, he is housed in what used to be my hospital tank (25 litres at around 24 degrees). He is fine but seems to spend his entire time hiding under a piece of slate (until I go away). I have a Yoyo Loach in my main tank and wondered whether another Yoyo or some other form of companion would bring him out of his shell? He is quite aggressive (hence the separation) but surely there must be some fish that he could get on with?

Thanks in advance.

Brad

ClownLoachSharky

Re: Tank Mates for Banded Tiger Loach?

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:24 am

Maybe get more of his own kind or other similar tiger species
You wouldnt have that problem with a V8

KittyKat

Post by KittyKat » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:59 am

S. helodes (banded tiger loaches) are not a species which is *really* suitable for the average home aquaria because they are extremely active compared to other large fish, so you'd be looking at at least a 6 ft tank for the species in the long term. As with many other loaches, this is a social species, but slightly aggressive, so it is generally recommended that it is kept in groups of at least 6 and ideally in groups of 10+. A 25 litre aquarium is not suitable for these fish even in the short term and they prefer temperatures on the slightly warm side of things. As usual, large fish are compatible primarily with larger fish and I can't think of any that can go into a 25 litre aquarium even in the short term. In a 6 ft aquarium, I would think about adding larger, fast-moving danios as tank mates.

The behaviour your fish is exhibiting is apparently typical of an individual, and apparently often results in starvation.

Botia almorhae (yoyo loaches) are also a shoaling species and should also be kept in groups of 6+, although I wouldn't want to keep the species in a tank under 4 ft long, myself.
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (ex- guide for beginners) | Flickr

newshound

Post by newshound » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:55 am

I'd return the helodes personally.

although a yo-yo can deal with the hell that comes from the helodes personality I wouldn't want to do that to it.

good tank mates for a helodes are eos and modesta... but it is just better to get more helodes

and they get quite large too
drain your pool!

twocents

Post by twocents » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:24 pm

Will the local fish store take him back (and not destroy him)? He is perfectly healthy and eats well. I have grown kind of attached to him but know he will get too big eventually. Is there anybody who might take him when he gets too big?

Thanks for all the advice.

B. :?

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:25 pm

yeas, if you want a big loach clowns would be a better option, otherwise more yoyos or hirtronicas

twocents

Post by twocents » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:59 pm

ClownLoachSharky wrote:yeas, if you want a big loach clowns would be a better option, otherwise more yoyos or hirtronicas
Thanks ClownLoachSharky. Are there any smaller loaches you could suggest that would suit London water at a ph of just shy of 8?

Cheers.

B.

KittyKat

Post by KittyKat » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:59 pm

Brad, before thinking about any more species of loach, why don't you investigate what the longest tank you can have is? As I mentioned, even the 100 litre is too small for the yoyo, unless it is 4 ft long.

As for finding a new home for the helodes, have you tried aquarist-classifieds? Or on here? Other forums? Even eBay? Ideally, it would be best if you found a hobbyist with an existing tank of these for the little guy. If you can't find an LFS which will take good care of this guy, you might want to ask Emma Turner (member on here) for recommendations. There are probably well over 100 LFS in London, they can't be all bad.
Last edited by KittyKat on Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (ex- guide for beginners) | Flickr

twocents

Post by twocents » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:05 pm

Thanks Kat,

I'll try the classifieds. Don't think I'll try Ebay - its good for non-living things but not live beings!

Think I'll donate him to the lfs! or someone with a bigger tank!

Cheers

B.

KittyKat

Post by KittyKat » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:46 am

twocents wrote:Don't think I'll try Ebay - its good for non-living things but not live beings!
So what makes you think that some random person who uses eBay isn't going to give it a better home than some random person who walks into your LFS? After all, an LFS did sell the fish to you when you knew nothing about it and did not have a suitable home for it.
Kat

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:52 am

Well i have high ph as well and for a 4ft i would say zebra loach, polka dot loach, dwarf chains, histies, rostratas or more yoyos. and you can lower ph with peat and almond leaves. i think oak leaves work aswell