what snails to feed clown loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

the loach master

what snails to feed clown loaches

Post by the loach master » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:50 pm

well hello yall this is my first time here but not my first time with clown loaches. i was wanting to know what other snails are easy and good for clown loaches to eat besides the mystery snails i give them
If someone said that they got power without violence or without someone getting hurt in anyway, they have lied to you

glenna

Re: what snails to feed clown loaches

Post by glenna » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:53 pm

mine gobble down pond snails.... I wish I could send you about a hundred!!!
I have this one tank that just seems to have constant snail reproduction. I feed snails from that tank to all the others.
glenna

the loach master

Post by the loach master » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:37 pm

so since you can give me any do you know were the best place to get them at is?
If someone said that they got power without violence or without someone getting hurt in anyway, they have lied to you

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:25 pm

Mine seemed to enjoy Ramshorn snails.

They must be cultivated snails not wild ones, to avoid parasites.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:05 pm

Pretty much any fish store will have pond snails infesting their tanks. Around here, I got them for free, just for asking. I set the snails up in a tank of their own, no fish, until they started to overpopulate the tank, then I spread them around all the tanks that have Loaches (most of my tanks, that is). I still have pond snails in the tanks without Loaches, so I keep on moving them into the Loach tanks.

I have not found my Loaches very interested in Ramshorn snails. I have a pretty good population in several different tanks that include Weather Loaches, Kubotai, Kuhlies, young Clowns (In the other tank with larger Clowns there are no snails that I can find).

I bring in garden snails (Escargot) to feed the larger Clown Loaches.

I have Malaysian Trumpet Snails in most tanks. I think the shells are too hard for most fish, and my fish do not seem to have learned other ways to eat them.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!