Is my 90g tank overstocked? 6 Clowns + other fish.

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

clown_loach_girl

Is my 90g tank overstocked? 6 Clowns + other fish.

Post by clown_loach_girl » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:10 am

I'd like to get some fish for the top half of the tank, as all the fish I have at the moment are bottom dwellers. But I've been worried that perhaps my tank is overstocked. Could anybody please help me out with some advice?

(I would really like to get a larger tank in the next few years when we buy our own home, just for my Clowns to live in, but right now it isn't feasible).

Setup:
Tank capacity approx. 350 litres (90 gallons).
Eheim professional 2322 and 2228 external filters (one on each side of the tank). Filter turnover rated at 500 lph and 1050 lph respectively.
Eheim Jager 300w heater.
Pond One Cleartec UV canister fitted to the 500 lph filter line.
3 x 36 watt T8. 6700K, 10,000K, and 18,000K. Electronic timer. 6700K & 10,000K are in a dual-tube reflector sitting on top of the glass cover, and on for 6hrs daily together. The 18,000K tube is mounted up in the hood which gives a nice pale subdued light, and it is on for several hours in the morning and evening for subdued lighting to view fish.

Substrate:
Natural 2-3mm light colored smooth river gravel.

Plants:
Anubias and hygrophilia corymbosa which have been struggling for the past few years. Nothing else does well in my tank except algae and java moss (which keeps choking my plants).

Decorations:
Driftwood (hardwood), mopani wood, rocks, and some fake resin "hollow logs".

Inhabitants:
6 Clown Loaches; one 10 yr old (7 inch) that I've had since I bought my first tank when I was 16, four 5 yr old's (ranging from 4 inch to 5 inch), and a little guy which my sister gave me nearly 2 years ago, because he was lonely and wouldn't eat. He was an emaciated skeleton when I got him, now he's twice the size and has a nice round belly. :D
2x Rainbow Sharks
1x Clown Pleco
1x Gold Spot Sailfin Pleco
2x Bristlenose Plecos
1x Golden Chinese Sucking Loach
1x very old Black Widow Tetra (used to have 6 but the others died from old age in the last 2 years)
3x baby Bala Sharks
4-6 Kuhli Loaches

All these fish I have had for more than a year, except for the Bala sharks and most of the Kuhli Loaches which are new.

ClownLoachSharky

Re: Is my 90g tank overstocked? 6 Clowns + other fish.

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:48 am

Welcome to the forum!

Well, I personally think as long as your nitrates are fine and you are willing to upgrade soon, it's fine. Just consider more kuhlis because they should be kept in a 10+ group. Also your sharks will start showing aggression and annoy other fish as they mature.

I guess that's it :)
You wouldnt have that problem with a V8