Advice

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ClownLoachSharky

Re: Advice

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:48 pm

same here in my current tank. I didnt know anything about planted tanks so i got 1 t8 bulb, just smooth pebbkes and barbs. Im currently setting up a high tech planted tank with substrate high lights, Co2, fertz and carpeting plants. i hope those yoyos dont rip it out though :roll: .
You wouldnt have that problem with a V8

kgreenjinx

Post by kgreenjinx » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:12 am

Ok change of plans. We have decided to ditch the 150 and picked up a drilled 220. This will become our new discus tank. We also are picking up 12-more 7-8"discus. The owner is holding the discus until our tank is good and cycled. Our plan right now is to plumb the tank to our basement and have a 100 gallon sump in the basement for daily water changes, water testing, bilogical and mechanical filtration. etcc. this will also feed our organic hydroponics down there. We are still researching what we want to use for substrate since we can start over. We are thinking sand and soil, but may go with "real aquatic soil. We are going to add the bottom crew first after cycling with a temp of 78. Over the course of a few weeks, we will bring the temp up to 82. At that point, we will add the angels from the 150. The 4 discus that are in that tank we have to move to their own 40B tanks fro now. Since they are not compatible with the 12 others we are getting. The ones we have are tank raised from Grest Farms. The 12 we are getting are from Hans Discus. We really want loaches as our bottom crew. Their is just nothing else as sleek and beautiful as loaches. I am thinking of selling the 150 acrylic and get a couple 75s, but havent decided yet.

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:56 am

yea the minerilized topsoil with 2-3mm gravel on top will look sweet. Or go completely high tech and waste your money on aquasoul :D . I like the idea of the bigger tank and the huge discus. A shoal of clowns would look nice in their and maybe consider buying your loaches on the net instead of those horrible pet stores. But if you want fully planted, the clowns will screw that over so maybe some zebra loaches? And the filtration sounds nice. Also, you could make the 150 gall dedicated to loaches.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:17 pm

If you're think of clown loaches, they can be plant destoyers as they get bigger. We'd love to see pics of the new tank & discus.

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:26 pm

That fact is so sad as clowns look amazing in planted tanks but it willbemore like a wasteland :roll:

kgreenjinx

Post by kgreenjinx » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:23 pm

Well, we looked at the discus last night and they are beautiful. He is holding them for a month or two while we get tanks in order. He keeps them at 84 F. I think we are going to acclimate them to 82 still though. From research and the discussion here about cowns, I think we are going to steer clear of them My wife is thinking Kuhlis as her choice. She likes the look of them and seem to have a higher tolerance of hotter water. We are also checking out the two given earlier in this discussion. Should we stick with one kind of loach or can we have a few different types Because she also likes yoyos. If there are anymore kinds we should look at please let us know. And I will definately take pictures.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:50 pm

I love Kuhlies and try to have a horde of them at all times, but you know they bur in the substrate. Sometime syou only see them at feeding time. If you get them, get lots. Will the discus try to eat the Kuhlies since they look like worms?

I would avoid the Yoyos. They can be slightly aggressive and will certainly dig up the plants. They can reach 9". Need to be in a large group. Keep in mind I have 9 of them and completely adore them (between 2-6"). Have you considered Histrionicas? Looks almost exacly like a Yoyo, but stay about 5" and have a sweet temperment. I know in your big tank, size doesn't really matter, but maybe you could have 10 or more and you would have a happy group.

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:43 pm

Well it depends where you live. If i were in the US i would have a nice shoal of kubotai and Striata. The are small and nice. Also my yoyos are ally not that zippy and aggressive. They have a pearl gourami in their shoal and chill with it. And one outcast hangs with the corys. Also how about dwarf chains. They are more active and you could get about 30 of them. because they are small.

kgreenjinx

Post by kgreenjinx » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:19 pm

Yes I live in the US in the midwest. We looked at the kubotai. We really like them We are going to try and find a place online that sells them It will be after we get this tank going and cycled. We are liking the mineralized top soil. Does anyone have any experience with the "Black Beauty" blasting media that alot of people are using in their planted tanks? We want to use it as capping. I know its safe with discus, but want it 100% safe for loaches. I know they will attempt to dig and lay on bottom and don't want anything hurt. We have to put the fish first before aesthetics/plants.

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:50 am

i dont reccomend blasting sand for loaches and corys. its extremely sharp and can damage their barbels and bellies. Try pool filtration sand its rounded and looks nice. Also for the kubotai try live aquaria or franks aquariums. Thry are great US sites selling loaches.

kgreenjinx

Post by kgreenjinx » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:54 pm

Sounds good, we are going to steer clear of the blasting media. I had not seen the media in person, so was not sure how jagged it was. We will look into the swimming pool sand. We are also looking for some aquascaping ideas. In the tank we will have a total of 16 Discus. We were going with a large piece of Driftwood and heavily planted. The tanks dimensions are 72"x 31" tallx 24" wide. We are going to get on youtube and look for ideas. Anyone want to throw out any ideas on how to pretty it up a bit and make it loach/Discus friendly. I think we are digging the kubotai's. and will go with a good shoal of them. Thanks

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:45 pm

sounds nice. if you want good plant ideas check out Dustinsfishtanks on youtube. hes got over 5000 subs but has a little potty mouth :lol: . He knows his plants and has a nice looking 220 gallon.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:14 pm

Did you look at Marcos' tank? It is very large, well planted and beautiful.

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:42 am

he dosent have that many plants though. i think kgreenjinx wants something densely planted like amano san or jeff senske san.

kgreenjinx

Post by kgreenjinx » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:08 am

Sorry, been busy the last few days re-doing plumbing and cleaning the tank. Picked up some very nice large pieces of driftwood. The mineralized topsoil looked like a great idea and read tons on it. However, due to time constraints and the colder temps, We would never get it to dry out. We decided to go with Turface MVP and initially put some root tabs in. I have read multiple places that it is soft belly safe. Whats your alls take on it. Should i go ahead and "cap" it with pool filter sand. Yes, you are correct, we are wanting a heavily planted tank. I am definitely wanting red tiger lotus and maybe some barclaya. I am planning to get some leds ordered hopefully next week so we can get started on building that while the tank is cycing. Our goal is to have her 12 discus moved into the tank by late this month.

Our filtration for the 220 is to drain through filter socks into a 55 gallon tank filled with nylon pot scrubbers. this is a "pre-sump" The "pre sump" will drain into a 75 gallon main sump which will house heaters and allow for 60 gallon water change daily through an automatic water change system i designed. The main tank will be sirred for 2 minutes prior to the water change through use of spray bars mounted 6" above the substrate to force food/debris into the water column to be removed through the overflows and ultimately filter socks/water change. Once we get cycled we are definately ordering a large group of Kuboatais to go with the Discus. Any comments and or suggestions to improve design?

We have decided to leave the 150 gallon in place to house the Angels and we want some Kuhlis in there as well. We are going to house them in a couple 40B until we can get the substrate removed and see if it causes a cycle on the tank before we move them back.