Introducing my clowns and a 1st question

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Joao M

Introducing my clowns and a 1st question

Post by Joao M » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:18 am

Hi,

Since it is my first post, I´ll introduce myself before introducing my loaches.
I am Joao, from Portugal, and have been keeping fish for over 30 years. For around 20 years I only kept reef tanks but the FW bug got me again so nowadays I am with FW.
I currently keep two tanks: one with a blue based Xback arowana a couple of CA cichlinds, 4 silver dollars, a flagtail and a sailfin pleco and the other with an RTG arowana and 13 loaches (12 clowns and 1 modesta).

Here are are a couple videos of the tanks (sorry, I don´t know how to embbed them)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDoUxkpO ... riFhVONcM9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oEUKfq_ ... riFhVONcM9

and the two loaches added after shooting the video (the angle of the pic is not the best but they are 14 and 16cms)

And the question:
I have 6 indo dats that are being kept by a friend but am planning on (in a couple of months) increasing the size of my clown loach tank (have a 2m tank for that) in order to add the dats (maybe only 3 of them) to the loach/rtg tank.
The dats are between 25-30 cms (10-12inches) and my 3 smallest loaches are only 6-7cms (2-3inch). The RTG doesn´t bother the loaches (even the small ones), but I am a bit concerned regarding the datnoids.

Have any of you had experiences of keeping big dats with small loaches?

Thank you
Joao

Joao M

Re: Introducing my clowns and a 1st question

Post by Joao M » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:36 am

Nobody ever mixed medium sized datnoids with small botias?

Well, I´ll give it a try (in a couple of weeks) and let you know how it went.

loach manic

Post by loach manic » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:44 pm

Hello, my name is Ken I have a shoal of 12 clowns ranging in size from 7.5 inches to 3 inches with my 11 inch Indo. That said there is the possibility that he could eat them, mine has'nt been fed live food and has been raised with them. However my dat is kinda a push over he would rather avoid conflicted then be involved in one. There have been a couple times i have question weather or not he did eat some clowns but upon doing tank maintenance i have always been wrong and all is just fine. I would say yes but depending on the temperament of the datnoid and weather or not he has been eating live food food or pellets and frozen foods.

Joao M

Post by Joao M » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:19 am

Thanks, Ken for your input.
All the dats in question have been on pellets for over a year so that will help