Adding young/small yoyos to tank with one that is 3 inches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

fredmertz

Adding young/small yoyos to tank with one that is 3 inches

Post by fredmertz » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:02 pm

Hello! I have a 75-gallon tank that currently has a single yoyo loach that I think is about 4 months old and I know is about 3 inches long.

I started with three, but one seemed sick from the get-go and a second died in a nitrite spike that I have resolved.

I know it is not good for a yoyo to be alone, so now that the tank is stabilized, I want to add 3-4 to the party. I am not able to to find yoyos of the same size and am wondering if there will be issues adding 3-4 smaller yoyos (about 1.5-2 inches) to the tank.

Thanks for your help!

ClownLoachSharky

Re: Adding young/small yoyos to tank with one that is 3 inch

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:36 pm

shouldnt be a problem. the small ones should school and the big one will join eventually. every time i add new yoyos the new ones will hang by themselves until they go to the others
You wouldnt have that problem with a V8

starsplitter7

Re: Adding young/small yoyos to tank with one that is 3 inch

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:58 am

I agree with CLS. There shouldn't be a problem. The fish don't really care about size. I have lots of sizes of loaches and mixed species and they seem to do fine. I had some 5" yoyosd and finally got some companions for them that were about 3" and then added a trio of 2". They all hang out. And like CLS said, the smaller ones are often less shy and will school, and the older guy will join in when he feels comfortable.