Filter Recommendation

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Caryld

Filter Recommendation

Post by Caryld » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:43 pm

I am about to get a 275 or 330 l tank for my young golden weather loaches and their mates (depends which I can fit in my car) and I am looking for recommendations on suitable filter types. I have only had internal filters before, but given the bigger tank is it time to go external? Is the UV option worth it? Would it be better to get 2 smaller filters, in case 1 fails? These guys have given so much fun in the 3 months I have had them, I want to do right by them.

ClownLoachSharky

Re: Filter Recommendation

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:12 am

i got an eheim 2228 for my tank which is 225l and it is reccomened for 700l. Good options are eheim 2217 classic, eheim 2228, fluval 405, fx5 if your a maniac :lol: , they are all reliable and are made well. The eheim 2228 is very reliable and has good filter medium in it.
You wouldnt have that problem with a V8

Caryld

Post by Caryld » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:01 am

Are there leakage problems with external filters?

UVvis

Post by UVvis » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:54 am

Potentially, but anything that holds water has potential leaks. Inspect the filter housings, connections on a regular basis and keep extra fittings/tubing on hand. Many leaks start small and are spotted early.

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:14 am

I've had no leakage at all with my eheim classics. I like at least 2 filters for a tank that size. I'd go with 2x 2217 & maybe a powerhead for more movement.

Caryld

Post by Caryld » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:55 pm

Thanks for the info everyone :)

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:12 pm

My friend's external filter leaked and she had to find alternative accomodation while hers was dried out. I also have a friend online whose tank emptied onto the carpet last year via the external filter with the loss of all her fish.

As this would be a disaster for my family and I, I have progressed from external filters to internal and undergravel filters and even no filters in my planted tanks.

Since I also value my 18 year old Clown Loaches and would be upset at losing them, this has been another factor in me getting rid of external filtration.

I doubt you will be growing plants with your fish and if this is the case I would recommend using undergravel filtration powered by powerheads. I know that these have lately gone out of fashion and it may seem strange to be going backwards in time in some respects but my measurements show that undergravel filtration can be very effective indeed. I manage my Clown Loaches at 5ppm of nitrate using this method, lower than with any other type of filtration I have tried.

Companies make little money out of undergravel filters and accessories, replacement parts, media etc. so there is little money spent on advertising them. They are almost useless for growing plants directly in the substrate too. However they are cheap, long-lived, very reliable and effective as well as being simple to maintain by gravel vacuuming.

However, external filters certainly work too. It's a matter of choice.

People who say undergravel filters don't work are quite wrong.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

Caryld

Post by Caryld » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:57 pm

My plants in the current loach tank are in pots, which seems to be a good compromise so far. I had not even considered under substrate filter, as my weather loaches like the sand. I will have to research :)

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:00 pm

If you like the sand then keep it. You can have good filtration and sand.

I have two tanks with sand (for catfish) and believe it is a good substrate.

I have internal filters, one at each end for these tanks. The sand always stays clean. I have a good flow.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

Dojosmama

Post by Dojosmama » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:37 am

You have expressed your tank size in liters. I am only familiar with gallonage. What would be the equivalent in gallons for your tank?

I have Aquaclear hang-on-back filters on all of my tanks. They are the easiest to assemble and maintain, are the least intrusive into your tank, and are very powerful and effective.

The recommendation is to get one with a labeled capacity at least twice the gallonage of your tank, since manufacturers tend to over-rate their capacity. If you have a ten-gallon tank, you should get the Aquaclear 20; if you have a 20-gallon tank, get an AC 50, NOT an AC 30, as the 50 is over twice your gallonage and the 30 isn't quite twice. They don't make a 40, so 50 would be the next up from the 30.

On my 65-gallon tank, I have two AC110s -- monster filters, to be sure, but still easy to deal with and I don't have to do water changes nearly as often. I also have live plants, which help even further.

It's always better to over filter than to under filter. If you have way more filtration than you think you need, that's okay, so long as you can control the current. The Aquaclears have flow control valves on them that allow you to adjust the current. I keep mine wide open, but some folks prefer to close them down to varying degrees to lessen the current.

Go with the AC, if you can get one and do get an extra for a back-up, in case the one on your tank fails. Failures are very rare with the ACs, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared. They really aren't that expensive ...

-- Dojosmama

Caryld

Post by Caryld » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:15 pm

The tank I finally ordered is 275 L, 73 US Gallons.

kcartwright856

Post by kcartwright856 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:29 pm

I love my AquaClear! Order it online if you can. Much cheaper on Amazon than in stores!

Dojosmama

Post by Dojosmama » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:41 pm

For a 73 gallon tank, I recommend two AC110s, for a total capacity of 220. This may seem extreme, but a single AC110 won't give you twice your gallonage in filter capacity.

As soon as your tank is stable, I suggest you remove the carbon from both of these filters and replace it with an extra bag of biomax in each. You really don't need carbon unless you are trying to filter out medications or other toxic chemicals. Carbon is chemical filtration, and it stops being effective after about two weeks. You'd benefit a lot more from the extra biomax.

I also suggest prefilter sponges on the ends of the intake tubes, which can be piggybacked for deeper tanks. These will catch a lot of debris before they can enter your main filter, and will keep your media cleaner longer. Also, the prefilters will help prevent tiny fry and small invertebrates such as red cherry shrimp from being sucked up into the tubes.

If possible, try to seed your new filters with media from an established (stable, already cycled) aquarium. Doing this will help to instantly cycle the tank. Also, add Seachem's Stability, a bacteria booster, for the seven-day regimen they instruct on the label. This should help to quickly build up the beneficial bacteria (biofiltration), and you can add fish right away. In fact, you must, or the bacteria will have nothing to feed upon and will die.

The AC110s tend to be a little noisy, and because they're large, they may seem clumsy to work with, but it doesn't take long to get used to them, and they really do a great job. The only problem I have with mine is that the plastic lids were warped when I got them, and I really have to hassle to get them to seat properly onto the tops of the filters. That's just because they use cheaper plastic these days, and there's more surface area to warp. But it's still well worth having these filters, in spite of this minor inconvenience.

The other thing is to adjust the levelors so the filters sit straight and level on the back of the tank. They'll work best that way.

Good luck. Do you plan to give some cute little dojos a new home? If so, keep their water temperature no warmer than 75F, as they are cooler water fish. You won't need a heater for them.

-- Dojosmama

Caryld

Post by Caryld » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:10 pm

I have 3 golden weather loaches (dojos) who are amazing, which is why I am getting the larger tank. Eventually I will get them a couple of friends.

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:25 pm

Sounds a great project. I like those fish though I haven't kept them yet - I would like to.

I hope you all have a great time :) !