Filter Recommendation

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

monicalovefish

Re: Filter Recommendation

Post by monicalovefish » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:09 pm

I've read that some people drill a small hole toward the top of their intake (still below the water level) to avoid having a disaster with an external filter. To be honest, I've never tried it but you could research it and see if someone has. Also, You don't have to have the intake WAY at the bottom, place it a bit high up if you're paranoid so that at some point, the water will stop pouring everywhere. I always check my filters on the day I clean them to look for leaks. I also replace the inner seals at least every 6 months to avoid these types of issues.

Monica

P.S. Personally, I think the Eheim seem to do a better job cleaning the water but you'd want the biggest one you could get to get the power and ability to put as much as you need into them (like chemical filtration).

Caryld

Post by Caryld » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:30 am

Finally got the 275 l (72 G US) tank, as the larger one wouldn't fit on the table. Got the biggest internal filter I could find, Interpet 250. The tank came with an in-hood trickle filter, but no pump. Bought a pump and managed to connect it up (don't you just love tank repair silicon?). Seems to have completed cycling after 16 days, giving it another day to make sure then starting to move fish over.

UVvis

Post by UVvis » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:20 am

monicalovefish wrote:I've read that some people drill a small hole toward the top of their intake (still below the water level) to avoid having a disaster with an external filter. To be honest, I've never tried it but you could research it and see if someone has.
Normally called a siphon break. You want to make sure the hole is big enough that it will pull enough air in to stop a siphon. If the hole is to small, you do not get a good break. Lots of different ways to set those up.

Dojosmama

Post by Dojosmama » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:32 pm

Unless you've seeded your new tank, the cycle won't be completed in just 16 days. A new, unseeded tank takes four to six weeks, sometimes eight weeks, to complete the nitrogen cycle. I wouldn't add any fish until it's done. You can always seed the tank, in which case, it will cycle right away.

-- Dojosmama

Caryld

Post by Caryld » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:22 am

It was seeded with a spare filter sponge from one of my existing tanks. I am being very careful, I am too fond of the little creatures to do anything else.

FishyLady

Post by FishyLady » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:34 pm

redshark1 which internal filters do you use??

Val
Better the chaos of creativity than the tidiness of idleness.