Unsure what this behavior means

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

lordgreggreg

Unsure what this behavior means

Post by lordgreggreg » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:54 pm

Hi there, I have a few clown loaches, but today I noticed something a little strange.

At first one of the smaller loaches swam up quickly next to my red tail shark, and started swimming/pushing against his side. I watched him do it again and it almost looked aggressive, he might have even nipped the sharks tail, but maybe I saw that wrong.

I came back with a video camera to see if I could figure it out later, but then the loaches started doing it with each other.

I am not sure what this means, could one of yall with a bit more experience tell me what you think?

video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wegmSIwz9uw

redshark1

Re: Unsure what this behavior means

Post by redshark1 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:41 am

Mine do this - a lot!

I've always likened it to spawning behaviour but I've never seen any eggs.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:17 am

Search the posts here using the term 'Shadowing' and see if that is what they were doing. Usually I have heard that term about one Loach following another fish (Loach or not) but not bothering or nipping, just swimming near the other fish. Following them about the tank, up or down, turning as the other fish turns...
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

lordgreggreg

Post by lordgreggreg » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:46 am

Thanks so much both of you!
Shadowing

A behaviour noted in many Botiine species, particularly clown loaches. One or more of the smaller, subordinate fish swim as closely as possible to a larger more dominant fish, often appearing as if they are ‘joined up’ side-by-side at the gills. This phenomenon is also referred to as ‘parallel swimming’ and can become quite fast and furious with the larger fish swimming this way and that, trying to ‘lose’ the hangers-on. However speedily the dominant fish swims, and however quickly it is able to make a sudden change in direction, the smaller fish seem glued to the bigger one. This type of shadowing behaviour has also been observed as a precursor to spawning in Pangio species.
http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php ... =shadowing also had good information on it as well.

Still seems like a bit of a mystery, but at least now I know it isn't something dangerous (just maybe a bit annoying for the big guy)

Thanks again :)

fain

Post by fain » Thu May 03, 2012 1:10 am

Awe, they like each other! How big are they? You never know, they may be trying to breed. The only time I've seen that behavior in fish is when there are males courting a female. If your loaches are sexually mature, then that very well may be it.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:39 pm

The large one sure looks like a girl to me. I agree, I think it is breeding behavior. I also wanted to compliment you on a beautiful tank and healthy looking fish. Very nice.

brown

Post by brown » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:07 am

if that is what they were doing. Usually I have heard that term about one Loach following another fish (Loach or not) but not bothering or nipping, just swimming near the other fish. Following them about the tank, up or down, turning as the other fish turns...