Kuhli Loaches hiding

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

NancyD

Re: Kuhli Loaches hiding

Post by NancyD » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:31 pm

Tiko, do you only have 1 kuhli? they're very social... When I had 6 striped, they hardly moved when I reached in the tank. I also had "black" pangios (oblongas) & they were a bit more hyperactive, but not shy.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:54 pm

Mine spent the first few years almost on their own in a leaf litter tank. I could always see them browsing the leaf litter and they'd dance late in the evening when lights are off or early morning.
Then that tank gushed down on the floor. I lost one kuhli, found it dried up later. The remainder went into a heavily planted tank. That's when I saw them the most. They were out all the time, lights on full blast. These days they're in my clown loach pond and hide in the plant baskets, so I rarely see them. I should really move them on again but how the hell do I catch them now.. :roll:

akeveryday

Post by akeveryday » Tue May 28, 2019 7:05 pm

definitely more kuhliis will equal more frequent sightings! I'd personally recommend more than 10 of each pangio species, though they will hang out together they seem to prefer the ones that match their own coloring!
as for catching them, i've had great success in trying to catch other fish and always getting kuhliis by accident in a plastic bottle trap baited with algae wafers or a frozen chunk of bloodworms. it usually takes less than 10 minutes to have more than 10 kuhliis in the trap... haha!