A question ?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Jules

A question ?

Post by Jules » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:35 am

Dear All

Was reading something about Khuli loaches on another forum recently and it was suggested that these could be kept in a hex shaped tank. As I understand it, these guys need a minimum tank floor space of 60cm ......?

Would be interested in your views on this...?!!!

Many thanks

Jules

Dos-Loachez

Re: A question ?

Post by Dos-Loachez » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:04 am

I've personally never heard of them having to be kept in a hex shaped tank. I have one black kuhli and he spends most of his time hiding and only comes out when the light for me tank is off in search of food and promptly hides again so i'm not to sure about the ground size requirement. Althoug i have heard that other kuhli loaches are less reclusive and enjoy swimming around the tank alot of the time. Perhaps it's the different between the black kuhli and a regular kuhli.

I hope someone else here can speak from experience regarding a regular kuhli also.

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:07 am

Well, it sure depends on the size of the hex. I have a hex tank that is about 20" across, and that seems to me it could work for Kuhlies. I had sids in it for a short time, and I had a breeding pair of Angels in it with no other fish. There are smaller hex tanks, too, but these probably would not work.

My Kuhlies are currently in a 40 gallon breeder, which is 3' long. I do not see them running the full length of the tank. Mostly I see them going up and down the sides, especially at one end in an endless loop.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Post by 021414 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:48 pm

Dos-Loachez wrote:I've personally never heard of them having to be kept in a hex shaped tank. I have one black kuhli and he spends most of his time hiding and only comes out when the light for me tank is off in search of food and promptly hides again so i'm not to sure about the ground size requirement. Althoug i have heard that other kuhli loaches are less reclusive and enjoy swimming around the tank alot of the time. Perhaps it's the different between the black kuhli and a regular kuhli.

I hope someone else here can speak from experience regarding a regular kuhli also.
My Kuhli's have always been happier when kept with many other Kuhli's. They are more active and less shy when kept in groups of at least 5. You should use http://aqadvisor.com/ for stocking your tank. I've found it to be tremendously helpful.
temporary 20g high - 1x Pangio kuhlii, 5x Pangio oblongas, and 6x Puntius tetrazonas

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:03 pm

Not sure I would go with a hex tank judging by the reading I've done so far. But, not having kept Kuhlies and just finding my feet with loaches as a whole, I'm obviously no expert !!

Thanks for the input though.