Pangio oblonga swimming in circles

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Drfunkenstein57

Pangio oblonga swimming in circles

Post by Drfunkenstein57 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:58 am

Does anyone know why my 3 black khuli loaches swim in anti-clockwise circles against the front glass?
They seem healthy enough but just seem to do this for the fun of it, I also have 4 x banded khulis (pangio myersi) which keep to themselves & generally grub about in the undergrowth, which is the norm for khulis.

I have checked the water quality which is ok & they don't appear distressed at all, the behaviour of these fish is more like playing if anything. This usually happens during the daytime quite regularly & goes on for a couple of hours till I assume they get tired.

Have other members experienced this & are the black Khulis (I think they are Pangio oblonga) the only species known to behave this way? :o
4x Pangio Myersi, 3X Pangio Oblonga, 1x Acanthopsis Choirhynchus, 1x Chromobotia Macracantha

Re: Pangio oblonga swimming in circles

Post by 021414 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:50 pm

Drfunkenstein57 wrote:Does anyone know why my 3 black khuli loaches swim in anti-clockwise circles against the front glass?
They seem healthy enough but just seem to do this for the fun of it, I also have 4 x banded khulis (pangio myersi) which keep to themselves & generally grub about in the undergrowth, which is the norm for khulis.

I have checked the water quality which is ok & they don't appear distressed at all, the behaviour of these fish is more like playing if anything. This usually happens during the daytime quite regularly & goes on for a couple of hours till I assume they get tired.

Have other members experienced this & are the black Khulis (I think they are Pangio oblonga) the only species known to behave this way? :o
My Black Kuhlis do this all the time! It's so entertaining, known as "dancing." From what I gather, it's quite normal and one of my favorite things to watch. :)
temporary 20g high - 1x Pangio kuhlii, 5x Pangio oblongas, and 6x Puntius tetrazonas

kcartwright856

Post by kcartwright856 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:39 am

It sounds like you have a case of happy kuhlis. :)

Kuhlis dance all along the glass when they are happy!

Drfunkenstein57

Post by Drfunkenstein57 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:47 pm

Nice to know, thanks for the feedback,I can relax & enjoy the show now :D
4x Pangio Myersi, 3X Pangio Oblonga, 1x Acanthopsis Choirhynchus, 1x Chromobotia Macracantha