Golden Zebra behaviour

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Jules

Golden Zebra behaviour

Post by Jules » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:51 pm

Hi Folks

Being a new loach keeper, I wanted to pick your little grey cells about loach behaviour.

I have a small school of 5 Golden Zebras which are now growing and fattening up nicely. One is a lot smaller than the others but I keep tabs on it to make sure it's getting it's fair share of food etc.

My main question is however, the other ones behaviour. They are constantly out and about during the day, cruising the gravel and generally being very active in the tank with a few rest periods. I have numerous caves and nooks and crannies dotted about for them to rest in but these guys appear to prefer to be out in the open, even when resting. I'm not unduly concerned but as I understood it, normal loach behaviour, especially when resting, is to hide away somewhere. The tiny loach seems to do this but not the others.

Any thoughts ?

Jules

DainBramage1991

Re: Golden Zebra behaviour

Post by DainBramage1991 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:28 am

Golden zebras (b. Histrionica) are known for being more active in the daytime than most other loaches. I have 6 of them and 2 yoyos that think they are zebras (they have been growing up together), and what you describe is exactly what I see in my tank. I assume this means that they are happy and healthy. :D

starsplitter7

Re: Golden Zebra behaviour

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:40 am

I agree. My histrionicas are active and out and about. One of my favorite loaches. But most of my loaches don't hide.