Tiger Loach Question

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

starsplitter7

Tiger Loach Question

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri May 18, 2012 12:36 pm

There are a couple, beautiful tiger loaches at an LFS. They have been there about 2 weeks. They are just over $5 and about 4" long each. I don't know what type they are. Maybe berdmorei or beauforti. 2 questions.

1.) Would they destroy my other fish: common plecos, gibby pleco, synodotonis eruptus, bicher, ropefish, sleeper gobies, raphaels, tiretrack eel, emporer pleco and Bristlenoses. I can take the Emporors and Bristlenoses out. The tank is well filtered, lots of flow, and lots of water changes. Lots of caves and places to hide. All these fish are 8" or bigger, except the raphaels, BNs and Emporors which are 4-6", and a 3" goby and a 4" goby. The gobies are fat and oblong. Everyone in this tank gets along.

2.) Would the other inhabitants hurt the tigers?

Is this possible? Hate that these beautiful fish spend their time at the LFS, but I also know these fish can be really aggressive. They are living with kubotai at the LFS. All are in nice shape.

Diana

Re: Tiger Loach Question

Post by Diana » Fri May 18, 2012 5:12 pm

What size tank are you thinking of adding them to? It sounds like a big tank, and this would be good. Everyone would have a place to call their own, and enough room to get away from another pushy fish.

If the Bichers and the S. eupterus are not eating the little Gobies, then probably the Tiger Loaches would be OK. My Bichers are confirmed predators, and I am leery of adding anything to their tank under 3". I do not think they could eat a fish 4" long and more or less a standard height. (No way would I put something like Kuhlies in there, though!)
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed May 23, 2012 9:04 am

Thanks Diana. The gobies are short, but very fat fish. These are wild caught Florida gobies. Even the small one is bigger around than my bichir. No one seems to have any problems in the tank, and of course, I am always afraid a new fish will upset the balance. But I hate to leave two beautiful tigers at an LFS. What a terrible fate.

zenins

Post by zenins » Thu May 24, 2012 9:47 pm

I find that the berdmorei are less aggressive than the beauforti.

How large is your aquarium ?

If it is at least 4 feet long, go for it :)

Otherwise, if the tank is smaller, say 3 feet or less, I would not put either species of loach in there with that many other fish already there ...
Zenin

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Sat May 26, 2012 2:14 am

If there are two of them I'd guess they will chase each other ,leaving the other occupants ? the only way is to try them ,if it doesnt work sell them on ,but I think you'd be pleasantly surprised ?

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Sun May 27, 2012 7:45 am

How large is your aquarium?

This is crucial for people to give you good advice.

I guess if, as you state, you have a dozen or more fish that are all 8" or bigger and some that will grow much bigger it must be at least a six foot aquarium? It sounds heavily stocked already to be honest.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon May 28, 2012 9:48 am

You are correct. It is heavily stocked. Lots of filtration, lots of water changes, lots of flow and lots of hiding places. When you look in the tank, the only fish you see are the gobies. Normally I wouldn't put anything else in there, but I hate to see the loaches languish.

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Wed May 30, 2012 10:47 pm

They just got em near me in south florida as well. Man I wish I had room!!!!!! All 4" long as well. sad....i don't want them with my rostratas and not sure I wanna put em with clowns.
All your loaches are belong to me!

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:29 am

After quarantine I dropped them in my big tank, and one thing I didn't take into consideration was my bichir instantly considering them a snack. Augh! As soon as they hit the water, the bichir started to stalk them. I even fed the tank, before I added them. The tigers were oblivious. So I caught the bichir, stuck her in a bucket in my tub (in case she jumped, she'd land in the tub). Then I spent two hours catching the tigers and threw them in my mixed loach/catfish tank. Crosssed my fingers. They are in with Clowns, yoyos, zebras, HIstries, Kubs, Bristlenoses, Hoplo cat, . . . and the dithers -- rainbows and danios-- so far so good. No stressed fish, no ripped fins. I will watch them like a hawk. I warned them that if they didn't behave, they would go back to the store. We'll see. I have kept skunks in a mixed community for 4 years with no issues. I am expecting the same with the tigers. :)

zenins

Post by zenins » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:50 pm

starsplitter7 wrote: As soon as they hit the water, the bichir started to stalk them.
How large is the bichir ?
Zenin

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:21 am

She is about 8". The gobies are smaller than the tigers, but rounder. The Bichir never even looked at them twice. As soon as the tigers hit the water, the bichir was in stalking mode. This is a fish that hasn't had live food since she was 3" wisp of a fish. I thought her predatory instincts were curbed. Nope! I always worried someone would loook at the ropefish and decide to bite him in half to make him snack sized, but so far, but there are no problems 3+ years.