Some help sort for hillstream loach identification please

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

borntofloat

Some help sort for hillstream loach identification please

Post by borntofloat » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:16 pm

hello there!

I'd like to see if I could get any information on these fish I have - It's been driving me crazy on being any definitive stuff on them, I'd like to find out the specifics on what they need to be happy in the aquarium, eg am I keeping what is effectively a 'tropical' hillstream in a temperate tank (21degree) and what would they grow to, eg I think I have a couple of P. fasciatus that are listed at growing to 12cm which is difficult to imagine from these little things and also what they would be aggressive, which is not at all apparent in these little things here..) And also about diet as well which I read can vary between species. Apols for the quality of the pictures but I only had the camera on my phone.

Gastromyzon sp??
He is a very robust, thick-set fish that is vary dark almost black - a bit like g.viriosus but darker and without any yellow on his fins, which are clear in colour where g.viriosus has the yellow colour. He does however have a yellow tinge in stripes along his body some of which are broken. He also has a definite brown tinge to his underside. What I am describing is not 'stress colouration' per se as I watched him in the shop for a good 6 months before taking the plunge and getting him. He was one of last hillstreams left in the tank and nearly impossible to catch. He seemed to me to the dominate fish in the hillstream group which comprised of various species of some good sized gastromyzon and some smaller Beaufortia kweichowensis.

http://s1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg499/borntofloat/

pseudogastromyzon sp.??
I just picked up a couple of these this evening from the pets at home down the road as I thought he might benefit from some company - although so far he has ignored them completely. A v slender fish in comparison that were in a tank of p.cheni. Only one of them has the black lines to his fins as the other's are completely transulent. If these are P.fasciatus, which I read are often found amongst the hillstream loaches found at pets at home, does anyone have any good info on them that I could use? (temp?ph?)

http://s1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg4 ... at/pseudo/

And here we come to why I have my temperate tank - my miscellaneous goby!
Also found at pets at home hiding under a rock, appeared to be a stowaway in a batch of white cloud mountain minnows. Was sold at the costly price of £1.69 as a sucking loach!! ;-) He's the friendliest fish I've ever met, and I've oddly always wanted a goby for some reason, he comes over to see what I'm doing at my desk and moving more like a lizard than a fish. Might need to keep an eye on his as regards tankmates as a couple of weeks after I got him I did think he would die of boredom unless I got him some tankmates so I popped in some white clouds only for him to swim up and nip the tails of one and what appears to be a very small bite wound on the abdomen of another... and this was not for lack of food - never seen a fish eat so well! He hasn't grown however in over the 3 months I've had him and who knows for how long he was hiding under that rock at pets at home. So I don't know whether he is a junvenille or not at a bit less than 2cm.

http://s1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg4 ... mr%20goby/

What is everyone's experience on what a good lifespan would be for these particular fish? Obv I want to give em the best chance at reaching it! ;-) Obviously it's learning process and I want to do all I can to avoid fatalities.

I've kept p.cheni and sewellia lineolata before and only ever lost fish to jumping out - get a v tight fitting lid completely all around was the lesson there haha!! ;-) but I fear these new fish might might be more of a challenge to learn about and maintain! ;-)

Thanks in advance for any of your responses.

Stef

borntofloat

Re: Some help sort for hillstream loach identification pleas

Post by borntofloat » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:42 am

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/ga ... introrsus/

I'd possibly say the gastro was this one...??!

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:53 am

Hi,

Gastromyzon zebrinus
Pseudogastromyzion fasciatus

Goby don't know, think somehow of the Rhinogobius duospilus group

Cheers,
Thomas

borntofloat

Post by borntofloat » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:03 am

Thanks so much Thomas!! :)

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:00 pm

I would agree with Thomas but am not 100 % certain of the zebrinus due to all the stripping on the snout. All that I have seen (and that is not many) have had spots in that area.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:32 pm

Hi Jim,

I have compared with mine, that I thought it could be zebrinus. Am I wrong?

Cheers,
Thomas

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:40 pm

From the description I have read in Dr. Tan's book, zebrinus has spots on the snout. I was wondering about G. cranbrooki?
But that does not seem quite right either. :?

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:58 pm

Gastromyzon crenatus? For me the cranbrooki looks not very similar to mine and Stefs loach.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:14 pm

Yes, I agree. I can see that now.
That is a beautiful fish!!