Want to get powerhead for 29G

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

shredaspud

Want to get powerhead for 29G

Post by shredaspud » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:58 pm

Well, I'm a recreational, recreational aquarist. I have a small loach (2.5 inches) and another even smaller loach. They never seem happy and I've been told they "like circulation". So I want to get a completely submersible powerhead for my 29 gallon tank. Right now, the only circulation comes from a pump on the side of the tank that cascades into the tank. That alone, doesn't seem to circulate much. I would like to oxygenate the water better and create a good strong current because many of the fish sometimes hang out at the top, gulping air. What GPH or GPM rating should I select for my powerhead? I'm on a limited budget here too. Thanks in advance.

DainBramage1991

Re: Want to get powerhead for 29G

Post by DainBramage1991 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:53 pm

You may be able to solve both the circulation issue and the oxygenation issue (low oxygen levels might be why your fish are gulping air) with a simple and inexpensive solution: a 12" airstone at one end of the tank fed by a decent air pump. In a 29 gallon tank, this will set up a reasonably good circulating current and it will provide for good aeration, both of which your loaches will appreciate.

Other things to look at are water chemistry (such as hardness, pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate) and temperature. Without knowing what species you have or what your water parameters are, it's hard to guess why your fish are gulping air but improving circulation and aeration should help.

If nothing else, the loaches will have fun playing in the bubbles. :D

shredaspud

Post by shredaspud » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:29 pm

My loaches are clown loaches and yes, they sure do like bubbles. Unfortunately, each and every single airpump I get eventually doesn't have the muscle to get air into the tank, even with new airstones. I have a 3-way gangvalve and flowback protector valves on the line in my current setup. It's a less than 2 year old airpump and it has "magically stopped working" effectively. This is the second one. It is really irritating and I really hate buying new ones. I don't have any air running right now.

The airpump is a Petco generic pump and has a max pressure rating of 0.014Mpa and capacity of 4.5L/min. This pump has two nozzles, one of which I don't need, so I block it off with a valve to increase pressure in the nozzle I do use. I might just cough up more money for a larger airpump...

I was figuring since I'm tight on money, I could set up a powerhead near the surface to increase surface aeration and oxygenate the water better AND increase water flow to make the loaches happier and hopefully grow more. I've never had luck in getting my loaches to grow much. BTW, my other fish are mollies and tetras. The tetras don't seem to be bothered by low oxygen, unlike the other fish and the loaches.

DainBramage1991

Post by DainBramage1991 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:59 pm

Many air pumps with dual outputs have dual diaphragms (basically 2 pumps in one). Blocking one off can reduce the pumps efficiency and life expectancy by adding mechanical stress to the internal components, without much (or any) benefit on the other end. This might be why your pumps seem weak and die young.

A better solution is to use both outputs and run them into a gang-valve that has two inputs, and then into the tank. Even using a simple "tee" connector should work if you're only looking to supply air to one large airstone. Just don't dead-head your pump.

Some other pump brands worth considering that won't break the bank: Aqua Culture, Tetra, Penn Plax, etc. They might not be the finest quality pumps, but they should do the trick, are generally inexpensive, and (in my experience) are long lasting.

UVvis

Post by UVvis » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:20 am

I've found that a single larger rheostat controlled air pump is usually worth it in the long run. The upfront cost is higher, but the quieter operation and longer service life make them more useful in the long run.

I have a couple of the diaphram luft pumps that are pretty great all around air pumps. The larger hagen elite ones aren't to shabby for a small tank either.

Also, remember what an air pump does... Mostly moves water to the surface for gas exchange. The bubbles in the water usually do far less gas exchange wise than what people think compared to the surface upwelling created. You can also use an airpump in conjunction with a powerhead's venturi port to pump more gas bubbles in the tank. If the powerhead is near the surface, you can pull gas in off the venturi anyway. Then again, I've also been known to put powerheads in the tank shooting straight up for a strong upwelling current. Kinda weird for many, but seems to do fine.

You might also have an undersized filter.