Botia Fry?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

fain

Botia Fry?

Post by fain » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:46 am

The lfs that I work at received a shipment of 6" Clown Loaches about a month ago. The other day one of my co-workers noticed a pair of fry and moved them to another tank. The tank with the Clown Loaches has no other fish.

I took a look at the fry today and noticed that they can't be Clown Loach fry, they are golden yellow and have four, not three vertical bars. One at the base of the tail fin, between the back fin and tail fin, one starting at the base of the back fin and one over the eye, there were no markings on any of the fins. The locations of the stripes are very similar to those of a Tiger Barb.There is also a touch of red at the base of the back fin. The body shape resembles a botia, it has the appropriate number, shape and placement of fins. They are only about 3/4 of a centimeter long so I can't see if there are any barbels.

They are too small to photograph and the tank that they are in now is too dark anyways.

Does this sound like a loach to anyone? If so, what species? My co-workers and even my boss are baffled. (I tried to buy them, but he wants them to stay in the store so he can see what they are. :( )