Mini Hillstream Tank

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Mamba

Mini Hillstream Tank

Post by Mamba » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:20 am

Hi Folks,

Well after too long of having my Sinibotia Robusta in a 2ft tank I got hold of a 3ft tank and did a mini hillstream set up based on what others have done here previously. I added more of these Loaches and now have 13. Last week I added two Hillstream Loaches to see how they get on. Thus far they are still alive, i'm not exactly sure of which type they are as they don't hang around too long for me to get a pic and properly ID them. There doesn't seem to be any aggression between the Robusta and Hillstream Loaches, at least, none that i've witnessed.

The said tank is only a temporary measure until I can get the other room refurbished. There will be three tanks going in along one low wall, either 2x 5ft + 1 x 4ft or the other way around depending on what I can get hold of and budget etc.
I at least thought this 3ft will make a more pleasant environment although, it is really a little basic.

So far i've got a U3 providing the filtration and a 2200lph powerhead/internal filter on its side providing some current. Additional air is provided by a 2ft flexi air curtain hooked up to an APS 150 Air pump.

There'll be some modifications to this to tweak. I'm installing an APS 400 that will run both the 5ft tank next to it and the 3ft Hillstream.
When I get the 4/5ft Hillstream tank sorted i'll be altering the layout a little. I'll put more plants in as they seem to like the cover the plastic plant provides to the right hand side of the tank. They'll be real ones though as they do look so much better. I think i'll put a few in the 3ft to see how they get on and then transfer them on to the next tank.

Anyhow, these are the pics, it is a little basic the set up:
3 x Pleco
2 x Blue Lobster
3 x Dianema Catfish
4 x Speckled Mollie
6 x Praecox Neon Rainbows
4 x Tiger Barbs
9 x Koi
11 x Common/Comet Goldfish
13 x Chinese Banded Loaches
14 x Fancy Goldfish
It's scary when you start to count them up isn't it?? LOL

Mamba

Re: Mini Hillstream Tank

Post by Mamba » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:51 am

The images seem to have been cropped to the right so unfortunately you are missing the right hand 4 inches. But then again, it's not that interesting, it's just the plastic plant.

One thing though I was thinking about, was would it be a god idea to get a wave maker? The single 2200lph gives decent current but i'm not sure if it really is adequate for a medium to fast flow. The tank only is 36"x12"x15".
Would a wave maker be suitable for a Hillstream tank? Would I be introducing too much flow?
Can I use it low down like the powerhead?

If I later introduced a small skool of White Cloud Minnoes would the current be too much with the wave maker?

Or should I just add a second 2200lph powerhead?
3 x Pleco
2 x Blue Lobster
3 x Dianema Catfish
4 x Speckled Mollie
4 x Tiger Barbs
9 x Koi
14 x Fancy Goldfish

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:21 am

Sorry, I can't give you any advice on the wave maker. Just wanted to let you know that it is a very nice natural looking tank.

mattyd

Post by mattyd » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:29 am

I've personally got a wavemaker in my sewellia hillstream tank. It adds a LOT of current. I have it aiming down the front of the tank, and the current then sweeps around to the back and it returns in a clockwise rotation. It does this because I have all the rocks stacked along the middle, and stacked high, so the water rushes around them to return to the wavemaker. You would need to be cautious if you keep it down low.... you need to ensure that the curious fish don't swim straight into the propellor cage. I had a wavemaker in my kubotai and zebra loach tank and i had a kubotai and sidthimunki loach swim into the propellor cage and get injured by the prop. They both died from their injuries. You don't want this to happen to your fish. So my advice is to make the gaps in the cage smaller, or lift the wavemaker up off the bottom and angle it downwards to put the current where the fish are.
5ft long rocky hillstream tank - Sewellia lineolata and spotted... and lots (and lots) of spotted fry
8ft Clown loach tank: 30+ clown loaches, 10+ Yoyos.
6ft tank for 16x botia kubotai, 13x Striata, 6x Sidthimunki - I need more sids

Mamba

Post by Mamba » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:28 am

Thanks Starsplitter7, that's much appreciated.

In all honesty though, it is very basic, it's only 12" deep so I was very much limited to what layout I could do. I want to add just a couple of plants as normally half the Banded Loaches seem to hide in amongst the leaves. Just looking into what plants would be good for this tank. Was thinking of the usual Echinodoras, Anubias, maybe some Java Moss.

Matyd:

Your right mate, I don't want th same to happen to my Loaches. The LFS said they'd not be getting those loaches in again so I better not risk it. I may try a smaller wave makes and do exactly as you suggested pointing it down.
the mid to upper end of the tank too but will take a look at what's available.
I'm thinking of adding some White Cloud Mountain Minnoes or none fancy tailed Danios too for some movement during day time as these loaches are more active at around 10/11pm.
3 x Pleco
2 x Blue Lobster
3 x Dianema Catfish
4 x Speckled Mollie
4 x Tiger Barbs
9 x Koi
14 x Fancy Goldfish