Feeding Gel Diets in a River Tank

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Allen Repashy

Feeding Gel Diets in a River Tank

Post by Allen Repashy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:47 pm

Hey everyone,

I made a couple of quick videos using my Soilent Green Gel on a piece of lava rock directly in a high flow river tank over the course of several hours.

Cheers, Allen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhwUdbV ... ature=plcp

starsplitter7

Re: Feeding Gel Diets in a River Tank

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:16 pm

What are those fabulous white and black fish that attacked the food?

My BN fry start swimming to it before it hits the bottom. They love it and grow super fast. They also like scavenger.

bookpage

Post by bookpage » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:22 pm

I think that they are Protomyzon pachychilus (Panda Loach)

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pr ... chychilus/
240 - Clowns(15), Polka-Dot(6), Sids(57), Zebra(12), Burmese(5), Red-fin(4), YoYo(5), Sumo(2), Skunk(4), Peckoltia sabaji(1), L144 Black Eye Bristlenose Pleco(3), Odessa Barb(9), Roseline Sharks(6)

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bookpage1

mattyd

Post by mattyd » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:34 pm

Nice. Your Repashy gel product looks brillant. I love the fact that it can be heat-coated onto rocks, and then placed into a hillstream tank. Simply brilliant.

I continue to wish it was available here in Australia. I think I am going to have to risk purchasing some and hoping it gets through Australian customs. I might have to tell whoever I buy it from to try and put a complete list of all contents easily available to the customs people. I am sure there is some way I could get it through... especially if the fish products and other products have been completely and utterly ground up and maybe dried and heat treated.

I suspect that any diy version wouldn't be half as healthy for the fish.
5ft long rocky hillstream tank - Sewellia lineolata and spotted... and lots (and lots) of spotted fry
8ft Clown loach tank: 30+ clown loaches, 10+ Yoyos.
6ft tank for 16x botia kubotai, 13x Striata, 6x Sidthimunki - I need more sids

Allen Repashy

Post by Allen Repashy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:19 pm

mattyd wrote:Nice. Your Repashy gel product looks brillant. I love the fact that it can be heat-coated onto rocks, and then placed into a hillstream tank. Simply brilliant.

I continue to wish it was available here in Australia. I think I am going to have to risk purchasing some and hoping it gets through Australian customs. I might have to tell whoever I buy it from to try and put a complete list of all contents easily available to the customs people. I am sure there is some way I could get it through... especially if the fish products and other products have been completely and utterly ground up and maybe dried and heat treated.

I suspect that any diy version wouldn't be half as healthy for the fish.
Hi Matt, Thanks for the kind words... Exporting anything with ingredients of animal origin is a royal PITA..... Europe is bad, Australia is worse!.. I think they are afraid of getting mad cow disease from krill meal :lol:

There ARE people getting it successfully into Australia through the post.... http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.c ... excited-d/ is a thread on a goldfish forum with some posts about how Australians are getting it in..... it IS at your own risk however....

Allen Repashy

Post by Allen Repashy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:20 pm

starsplitter7 wrote:What are those fabulous white and black fish that attacked the food?
Schistura pridii

Allen

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:45 pm

Do you have anymore video of the feeding?
Have you tried coating smoother types of rock?

Allen Repashy

Post by Allen Repashy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:55 pm

Jim Powers wrote:Do you have anymore video of the feeding?
Have you tried coating smoother types of rock?
I will add some more feeding videos if you are interested. Anything particular you want to see?

The gel will not stick to smooth rocks like river rock. It needs to be coarse rock like volcanic lava, pumice, etc. It also sticks well to rough wood. Honestly, much of the time I just toss in a block that is about an inch square, and it will wedge it's self against a rock and they will graze on it just the same.....

Allen

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:23 pm

I would just like to see some of the other species feed. I figured it would only stick to a rough rock.
I*'m going to have to get some of that food! :D

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:01 pm

Allen, you feeding vids are wonderful! Do you add extra water to your gel mix to dip the lava rock into it? I tried smoother river stones & wet wood, just kinda smeared it on, it didn't stick very well at 3:1, it sets up fast even though the fish had no trouble finding the food. I now put small chunks in a glass dish & on the substrate in calmer areas.

Allen Repashy

Post by Allen Repashy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:05 pm

NancyD wrote:Allen, you feeding vids are wonderful! Do you add extra water to your gel mix to dip the lava rock into it? I tried smoother river stones & wet wood, just kinda smeared it on, it didn't stick very well at 3:1, it sets up fast even though the fish had no trouble finding the food. I now put small chunks in a glass dish & on the substrate in calmer areas.
Hi Nancy,

I used the 3:1 ratio but rather than smearing it on, dipping the rock works much better. It is also better if the surface is dry, not wet when you do this. I just heat up the gel and then dip a half a dozen lava rocks in it before it cools. If it cools to fast, you can just reheat it and it will turn liquid again so you can start over. (it is thermo-reversible)

Allen

mattyd

Post by mattyd » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:52 pm

My SoilentGreen order to Australia (Brisbane, Queensland) arrived at my local post office yesterday much to my delight. I have it sitting on my work desk beside me right now. I only went with the 150gram container initially to see if it got through customs, but I will now be ordering larger containers to 'stockpile' them and maybe sell to other hillstream loach keepers in my local area.

I'll be heading away for a long weekend tomorrow morning, so I'll trial it out in my tanks on Monday. I am sure it would be fine to put into a tank when I get home today, but I would prefer to be able to remove it if I use too much or mess it up. My fish and fry can just go without external food for a few days. Now I need to find a few pieces of lava rock to use for mounting the food to.
5ft long rocky hillstream tank - Sewellia lineolata and spotted... and lots (and lots) of spotted fry
8ft Clown loach tank: 30+ clown loaches, 10+ Yoyos.
6ft tank for 16x botia kubotai, 13x Striata, 6x Sidthimunki - I need more sids