Hillstream tank Manifold question.

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Mamba

Hillstream tank Manifold question.

Post by Mamba » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:05 pm

Hi, I recently acquired some Loaches (Gastromyzon viriosus) to be exact (cheers for the ID Jim :wink: )

They're sharing a tank with two more Hillstream loaches that are very camera shy so i'm yet to have them properly identified and with 13 Sinibotia Robusta and some Tiger Barbs (Yes I know a strange mix). As yet there have been no instances that I have seen of any trouble between any of them. Curiosity on the part of the Robusta is all as yet i've witnessed thankfully.

Back to the point though.

I'd rather play safe and separate the hillstream loaches from the Robusta so the intention is to buy a 3 or 4ft tank depending on the space as i'm running out of very quickly.
I would like to do a manifold system as has already been referred to but my question is how are the pipes inside kept clean? My worry is that, as with all things that have a sponge filter some detritus is not filtered and builds up in the inside of the pipework. This pipework will not be easily accessible as it will be buried under rock and gravel so how is it to be kept clean? Is the build up likely to be friendly bacteria that will be of help to the fish or will it be a breeding ground for the bad stuff potentially?

As this manifold design has been in use for some time I dare say you folks have had some experience of any pitfalls if it has had any of course.
3 x Pleco
2 x Blue Lobster
3 x Dianema Catfish
4 x Speckled Mollie
6 x Praecox Neon Rainbows
4 x Tiger Barbs
9 x Koi
11 x Common/Comet Goldfish
13 x Chinese Banded Loaches
14 x Fancy Goldfish
It's scary when you start to count them up isn't it?? LOL