Getting rid of Black beard algae in a hillstream tank

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Eika

Getting rid of Black beard algae in a hillstream tank

Post by Eika » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:08 am

Hi all,

I was having major problems with BBA recently on my anubias plants, then spreading to the tank walls and rocks, and found that this method really worked. Thought I'd post it up here as I've seen lots of people complaining about this type of algae and it can be difficult to find algae-eating fish that will a) actually eat it and b) be able to withstand the current in a hillstream tank. I'd heard people mention overdosing with Flourish excel but that stuff is pretty expensive over here in NZ so here's how to kill the algae with one dose. :D

So here's what I did:

Remove 50% of the tank water into a large container, put all the fish in there with it (and a heater/air pump if this is going to take you a while.)
Remove the rest of the water via gravel siphon, and discard.
Measure out whatever dosage of excel you need for the whole tank (5ml for every 40 litres) and put into a clean, small spray bottle (you can get them for around $2 in the garden section in shops). Top up the bottle to about half full using clean water.
Liberally spray the glass, driftwood, rocks etc with this concentrated mix. Drench everything in the mix and leave it there for maybe half an hour, then scrub the more durable objects like driftwood.
Then I just refilled the tank again using the old water and clean new water. My fish all seemed fine (my ghp rasboras actually started breeding the next day but that could be coincidence! :) ) The algae had all completely died /been eaten away by loaches within 3 days, woohoo!
Eika
New Zealand

mattyd

Re: Getting rid of Black beard algae in a hillstream tank

Post by mattyd » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:38 pm

Nice idea. I would like to get rid of my beard algae, but I have so many small sewellia fry from 1.5mm long to 5mm long that live in it that I would never be able to get them out with a gravel vac/syphon. Maybe I could try dosing for a few days at partial dosages and see if it starts dieing off.

I think I am going to have to also try the golden pothos vine root idea.... I will get a hang on the back filter, and place a few of the vines in the water. The roots will grow and absorb nutrients, and hopefully the algae will die off due to not having enough nutrients.
5ft long rocky hillstream tank - Sewellia lineolata and spotted... and lots (and lots) of spotted fry
8ft Clown loach tank: 30+ clown loaches, 10+ Yoyos.
6ft tank for 16x botia kubotai, 13x Striata, 6x Sidthimunki - I need more sids

plaalye

Re: Getting rid of Black beard algae in a hillstream tank

Post by plaalye » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:23 pm

Hydrogen peroxide also works well. I've read of accounts where people applied it directly to plants in the tank with a pippet, but I haven't tried this. I have pulled wood & rocks out and sprayed them with H.P. & let sit for 15 mins or so, then rinsed and returned to the tank. The BBA soon turned reddish brown and died. Shrimp seem to really like it at this point!