Judgement Call - time to euthanize?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Eli-T

Judgement Call - time to euthanize?

Post by Eli-T » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:08 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of advice with regards to a sick fish recently added to my loach tank. On returning home tonight I found him (an upside down catfish) with distended belly an small white somethings issuing from his anus.

I've read the parasite faq and it looks like worms. However, the faq also seems to suggest that the worms can't complete their lifecycle inside the tank and hence won't be able to infect other fish. Should I leave him to see if he can recover, or should I remove and euthanize him to reduce the risk to the other fish?

Obviously whilst it would be regrettable to lose him, I have some clowns in their that I've had for years.

Any advice greatfully excepted (except for "should have used a quarantine tank...")

Eli

Azmeaiel

Post by Azmeaiel » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:05 pm

Sounds a lot like abdominal dropsy, it can be caused by kidney failure (constant poor water conditions, bad food, overly high nitrite over a long period of time) also from bacterial or parasite infection. It is not very infectious but the water conditions causing the problem should be looked into, best to check all water parameters over a few weeks to make sure there are no small ammonia or nitrite spikes, also keep regular tank maintenance such as 25% water changes every week or two. If you are using Live frozen foods then check it is a moisture reduced one as I notice the cheaper ones leak a lot of fluid, this quickly spoils in the tank causing bacterial outbreaks. I have had many Dropsy outbreaks when this happens but not so many with moisture reduced brands or the mid-expensive price range products where the larva/shrimp etc are not so broken up.

shari

Post by shari » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:44 pm

Ultimately Az, the decision whether or not to euthanize really should be yours.

If it is cammallanus worms they are hard to treat, but doable. They are a nematode worm that should respond to levamisole.

Here's a link to a discussion of them with a pic of a fish infected. The medication they recommend is Discomed which has been discontinued, but the main ingredient in it was levamisole.

Levamisole will not harm your other fish, but since the worms are already showing, you may well lose the upside down cat.

If I were you, and valued my clowns, I'd get some levamisole and treat the whole tank.

shari

Post by shari » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:45 pm

Eli-T

Post by Eli-T » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:24 am

Thanks for the link and the advice so far.

The parasites on show are definitely a whitish colour rather than the vivid red on show in the link.

I'll try and find some levamisole based med available in the UK.

Thanks again

Eli

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:43 pm

Where is your location Eli-T ? I have a large amount of levamisole and also know where you can purchase some, if you reside in the UK.

sophie

Post by sophie » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:38 pm

Graeme Robson wrote:Where is your location Eli-T ? I have a large amount of levamisole and also know where you can purchase some, if you reside in the UK.
Graeme,

I'd be very, very grateful for the info (and dosing help :D); I've got a fish who's showing signs of of some kind of infection which I think must be parasites of some sort; flukes is my first and best guess so I'll treat for that first, but if that fails I think I should probably treat for internals and I wouldn't know how to find a supplier so if you could point me at one I will be very happy!
sophie.
there is no them
there is only us

http://www.duckduckgoosestuff.co.uk

loachaholic

Post by loachaholic » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:02 pm

If you do decide to euthanize, this method is my preferred method. It causes no distress to the fish that I have ever witnessed.

http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/profile ... veoil.html

clownloach

Sure

Post by clownloach » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:06 pm

Personally, i think you should put him in a seperate tank but thats just what i would do. :?
Q('.'Q)

Eli-T

Post by Eli-T » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:58 am

It never rains but it pours...

Just before heading out to get search for some medication, I checked the fish. Two of the clowns had signs of ich. So I've treated for that now, and will try and clear that before worrying about the worms.

Eli-T

Bad news...

Post by Eli-T » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:30 pm

...the clowns didn't respond too well for the ich treatment. Tested the water today, pH, temp, ammonia and nitrite was ok but nitrate was through the roof. I've done an immediate 25% change but lost my clown of five years and the other two are looking touch and go. I also cleaned the external filter and hold my hand up and admit it was overdue.

Anyone got any good suggestions for rapidly dropping the nitrate without removing too much of the ecosystem? I'm planning to do daily changes and keep monitoring the nitrate levels until it looks reasonable.

Oddly, the original problem (upside down cat with possible parasites) appears to show no symptoms anymore.