Yoyo gravid for months?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Gryphoemia

Yoyo gravid for months?

Post by Gryphoemia » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:02 pm

Hi all. I have a single 4"+ yoyo loach- I found her all by herself at the lfs about six months ago. I haven't been able to find any other similar sized yoyos, so she's living with my three 3" clowns in a 55. She went from being a total recluse when she was alone to being a terrible bully with the clowns- I suppose it may be time to find her a new home.

Anyway, a few months ago, she got VERY bloated- her belly is so huge she can't fit into half the caves in the tank anymore. Her whole underside is bright silvery white, too. Based on other threads I've read, I think she's gravid. My question is, how long can she stay that way with no males? If nothing else, I'm afraid she'll get hurt trying to cram herself into caves she doesn't fit in- she's gotten a couple little bruises that way already.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:14 pm

to the best of my limited knowledge as long as she's healthy she can live that way indefinitely. Mine was gravid for months with no ill effects. She did have two younger males in with her, but they never spawned. I think they were too young.

mikev

Post by mikev » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:54 pm

It is not necessary to have a similar-sized yoyo. They grow very fast, a 1" baby will be 3" within only three months and 4" within perhaps six. It is not clear if this will help with your yoyo problem (they may be too immature or not interested in spawning...) but at least it will get her some company.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:23 pm

Really what you should look for is yo yo's with a more reticulated pattern than the usual 'yoyo' on the sides. Does your female still have it? If so, I am not really sure she's gravid...

Gryphoemia

Post by Gryphoemia » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:29 pm

Her pattern is very reticulated- no "yoyo" at all. Is the pattern change a sign of sexual maturity, then?

shari2

Post by shari2 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:07 pm

Yes, it is. Juveniles will have the distinctly yoyo pattern. As they mature the pattern reticulates, individually in each fish. In my gang the female matured much more quickly than the males, although it is impossible to say how old she really was when she got to the importers/distributors.