New Pics – Geos, loaches and SA’s Updated 9/8/07

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

topline

New Pics – Geos, loaches and SA’s Updated 9/8/07

Post by topline » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:35 am

Hi

Took some more photos tonight. Hope you like them.

Clown Loach

Yoyo Loach

Acarichthys Heckelii

Uaru

Severum

A face only a mother could love

Leucosticta

Surinamensis??

Steindachneri

Chocolate Cichlid

Tapajos Orange Heads

Whew… That’s about enough for now……Hope you liked them.

Cheers
Brian
Last edited by topline on Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:44 am

Amazing pics!!! :shock:

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:54 am

Excellent pictures again Brian :D

What foods do you feed your fish :?:

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:01 pm

Superb pictures and fish! 8)

You taking pictures with-out the tank lights on? I often get good results using the same method at times.

topline

Post by topline » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:26 pm

Thanks guys

Pics taken with flash and tank lights on. 1/60 second f8 so tank lights basically irrelavant and only help with focusing. Flash fired from the front so naturally gets darker behind the fish. Darken edges in photoshop.

Feed NLS almost exclusively, on Saturdays they get earthworms, bloodworms and mealworms. Cucumber given about twice a week but Uarus hog it until its finished, other fish only manage scraps that float away.

Feed about 4 times a day and food is finished in about 2 minutes.

Cheers
Brian

shari2

Post by shari2 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:24 pm

I especially like the lips on that Steindachneri. 8) Amazing clarity in all of them. Kudos!

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:42 pm

Stunning pics again, Brian! :D I told you that the lighting was really flattering on the fish. 8) :wink: The loaches are beautiful, and I do have a soft spot for Uaru's.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

sophie

Post by sophie » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:43 pm

just fantastic photographs. really lovely. thank you! - though not for adding to my list-of-fish-and-tanks-I-shall-get-when-I-win-the-lottery :evil:
sophie.
there is no them
there is only us

http://www.duckduckgoosestuff.co.uk

topline

Post by topline » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:50 pm

Thanks all :D :D :D

Shari2: Thanks, yeah, dont those lips look great, almost kissable....
Emma: Thanks again. Tried differant lighting this time. Small on camea flash, iso 100 and f8 which means the background recedes into darkness.
Sophie: Thanks. I hope you do win the lottery and are able to fulfil all your dreams :D

Cheers
Brian

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:29 am

Thanks for that, Brian. I'm still fiddling about with my camera since getting it back from being repaired at Nikon! :roll: :lol:

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Graeme McKellar

Post by Graeme McKellar » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:52 pm

G'DAY MATE OWYAGOIN !! Good to see another Aussie on the Forum. Your photo's are amazing :shock: and your fish are sooo beautifull and they all seem to have big smiles on their faces. You must spoil them rotten. Thanks for sharing them with us. When I next go to Perth maybe I can see them in real life and share a cold Swan with you (my shout). Graeme.

topline

Post by topline » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:54 pm

Hi Graeme

Its a deal. Always willing to meet people with the same interests.Let me know when you are coming down...

Cheers
Brian

Dave_2133

Post by Dave_2133 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:22 am

Great pics mate, but how do you get such good pics of the fish. when i try they go blur or the light reflects of the glass. Plus they wont stay still.

topline

Post by topline » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:51 am

Thanks Dave_2133

This is how I do it....

Preamble... I use a digital slr. Try use lowest iso(asa) possible. I leave the tank lights on to help focussing. The light in my tank will not be relavant at the shutter speed and apeture selected. The flash (most flashes) has a really short burst, something like 1/20000 sec and it freezes the movement.

I use a shutter speed of 1/60 sec and f8. With my tank lights, an exposure at these settings will be way way to dark and thus in effect the only relavant light sorce is the flash. If I had metal halide lighting, this would not be true as its much brighter and would play a part in the exposure of the image.

Using the "on camera" flash, I make sure I angle the camera slightly downwards so that the area of glass containing the flashes reflection is not in the frame. I usually hold the camera about 30cm from the glass and have the camera set to continuous autofocus. In this mode it does not 'lock on' to the subject but constantly tries to keep it in focus.

I set the camera to spot metering so that it reads what flash power is needed from the side of the fish and not from the dark background. If I use centre weighted or matrix metering I get a larger proportion of pics where the fish has 'blown out'.

I use a 17-55 lens, mainlyon 55 and follow fish around until they either pause, flare their gills, raite their fins etc and then take the pic.

The resultant photos are then looked at on the computer and culled ruthlessly. I select what I consider to be the best and then load them into photoshop.

The pics are leveled and contrast adjusted to represent the image I sam through the viewfinder. Floaties in the water are disposed of and finally the image is resized for posting to the forums. I resize to 640x480 pixels at 72 dpi. I then finally sharpen the image using photoshop settings of 100% .7 and 3. Usually I then slightly darken the edges as I feel it looks better.

Here is an example of an udadjusted image (only resized) and the resultant pic after a little photoshop work.

Original:

Adjusted image:

Hope this helps.... sorry for the long winded reply.

Cheers
Brian

shari2

Post by shari2 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:02 am

Gotta love those lips!

Give us a kiss, luv... :lol: