Did someone say 'confuzona'?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mikev

Post by mikev » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:31 am

Emma Turner wrote:Here's the article from the PFK website: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... p?news=958
Further down the article, there is a list of affected species. :cry:

Emma
Fascinating. The great fear of Alien Invaders strikes again.
I guess the solution is to breed them locally. Misgurnis can surely be released into the Thames river, and it would be real fun to release some Leptobotia as well.... A Win-win situation: a more versatile ecology and job opportunities for the fish catchers..., why pay the Asian exporters for what can be done domestically?

But what makes them so sure that no Pleco can survive in the wild? Some seem to do quite well in coldwater tanks.... Perhaps someone should mention this to CEFAS.

Hmmm... your forthcoming East Coast branch will not have these restrictions. Something to think about 8)

LES..

Post by LES.. » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:10 am

They look stunning!
If i had the tank space i'd be in the car up to Emma's right now...

*sigh* Oh well a new tank is on order, if they can just get it built (i have already had 2 follow up calls on the exact design of the cabinet and the choice of wood...)

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:28 am

I didn't actually order these chaps, they were sent as a substitute by the supplier. As I've mentioned to a few people before, I have been very reluctant to actually place an order for these, knowing how poorly thay cope with the shipping process. But now that these are here I will do my best to look after them. They have had one round of Levamisole so far and are getting several feeds of small foods a day. I won't be putting them on sale for several weeks yet, and only if I am sure they have settled completely.

This batch are bigger than any I've seen before. I estimated that on arrival they were 2.5", but I think they are actually closer to 3". Maybe this means they will be a bit stronger? Fingers crossed. :wink:

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:15 am

Oh wow! That's the best sub you'll ever get!

Reeeee-sult! Image

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:37 am

:D :lol: Yes, it could have been a lot worse! :wink:

H. confuzona has been appearing on all sorts of lists over the last couple of months. But the fact that you rarely see them in the shops points to many probable losses, I would think. :cry:

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:43 am

Wow , they're beautiful! Can botia-types live with them long term? (I haven't had enough coffee for yas..whatever yet) Not that I'll find them here, I've only seen any lizard types a few times.
Nancy

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:08 pm

NancyD wrote:Wow , they're beautiful! Can botia-types live with them long term? (I haven't had enough coffee for yas..whatever yet) Not that I'll find them here, I've only seen any lizard types a few times.
Nancy
I wouldn't recommend it, Nancy. These seem to be a delicate species with river tank needs. Larger boisterous fish wouldn't be welcome around these i imagine.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:30 pm

One of the funny things I have noticed about these fish (and others have mentioned this too) is that despite their elegant appearance, they tend to lumber around the tank like minature nurse sharks when looking for food.
The 3"+ one I had last year would make quite a commotion when the bloodworms came out. Despite that, I think a botia would certainly stress the fish out.

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:01 pm

... wow... aborichtys was pretty much the most exotic I could get in Munich (and I can´t even find another one) ... hmmmm ... I should not have joined this forum... :wink:

... Martin my kids are returning from Toronto next week... I guess I need to design a mini tank into there pant-pockets...

EMMA ... help :idea: ... any colleagues in Munich :?: that trade interessting loaches like yours?

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:31 pm

wasserscheu wrote:EMMA ... help :idea: ... any colleagues in Munich :?: that trade interessting loaches like yours?
Sorry, Wolfram, no plans for a German branch at the moment! :lol:

But you could try asking around some of your local aquatics stores for them to look out for any rare loaches on the fish lists they receive from their suppliers. One of my fish suppliers is Aquarium Glaser in Germany, who have a huge stocklist and some very unusual fishes. Their loach selection is fairly good and they occasionally have some 'rarities'. You could even contact them to see who they might supply in your area. Their website is http://www.aquarium-glaser.de/start.html.

Good luck!

Emma :D

mikev

Post by mikev » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:24 pm

Make sure to check the German version of the Clown loach... From the Aquarium Glaser catalogue :

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:02 pm

... thanks Emma ... need to grow more aquaristik blooming flowers for you!

Mike... you make me laugh... really... don´t know why... German clowns... :lol: :lol: :lol:

once I have a camera again, I post a pic here, the "center-stripe" looks on one side like a saddle - does not go around... but that´s more the problem of being "my" clown - rather than being German ... I think :P

mikev

Post by mikev » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:20 pm

I was not trying to be funny, only envious.

I have a clown with ONE dot. Emma I think has one with TWO. This guy is an Oberstclown. :wink:

Here is the entry describing the fellow above:
In our picture you see an interesting mutant of the clown loach, which reached us these days. Although Chromobotia macracanthus formerly known as Botia macracantha is a long time tank inhabitant, it is still not without mysteries. This applies particularly to the breed, so far we have only coincidence success. Also in the maintenance they can make problems, since they are very susceptible to stress. Catching and transfer should take place only in absolutely necessary situations, because they are particularly prone to whitespot disease (Ichthyophthirius multifiliis) when stressed in any way.
The don't seem to list Confuzona, but they do list Zebra Plecos (locally bred!), this is quite something too.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:51 am

Thanks Graeme & Jim, I've been keeping a spare powerhead just in case I do get overcome by river-fever, still have sids in the Q tank though. No car + no tank= no fish shopping :evil:

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:09 pm

Thought you'd all like to hear an update on the H. confuzona. They've been with us for 10 days now and am pleased to report that they are still doing well :D . They are getting lots of feeds of small foods per day and have had a couple of Levamisole treatments. Here are some up-to-date pics:

Emma :D