Histrionica no longer available?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

fain

Histrionica no longer available?

Post by fain » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:22 pm

I purchased 4 histrionica last year and lost one over the summer after a power outage. I would love to get more, but I haven't seen them for sale anywhere since I bought out the store last year. I asked the owner (my boss) if we would be getting any more, but he said no. A quick search online proved futile. Are these loaches that rare, or am I just not where they are being sold?

The loaches are very shy, even with my 7 striata. If I can't find more histrionica, should I just get kubotai in hopes that they stick together?

starsplitter7

Re: Histrionica no longer available?

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:08 pm

I think Histrionica are a bit seasonal. I have only found them twice in 5 years. Very nice fish. Better than Yoyos in many ways.

zenins

Post by zenins » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:49 am

starsplitter7 wrote:I think Histrionica are a bit seasonal. I have only found them twice in 5 years. Very nice fish. Better than Yoyos in many ways.
I rarely see them in the fish shops, but I purchased 3 a few months ago that were labelled as Histrionica.
They were pretty small to tell for sure if they are Histrionica.
I am growing them up to see for sure.

I have one that is over 5 years old and is more than 5 inches, and yes, I like it much more than a Yoyo :wink:
Zenin

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:19 pm

Maybe the biggest obstacle is that hardly anyone calls them by that (correct) name. I've seen them under at least a dozen different names. Here's a good place if you're willing to ship under the fairly common, common name "golden zebra loach"

http://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/index.php/fish

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:38 am

They do come with so many names, and are also mislabeled. Does make it really had to find them. I have also bought fish that could be Histrionica and grew them up to find out for sure. :)

DainBramage1991

Post by DainBramage1991 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:05 pm

I have six "Golden Zebra Loaches" that I bought close to a year ago. Three are definitely histrionicas, two look like they might be rostratas, and one I have no idea whatsoever, so I named him Oddball (maybe kubotai).

They all get along like they're the same species, so I'm not too worried about identification at this point.

I hope that availability doesn't become an issue with these guys, as my son is going to be looking for some for his tank soon.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:41 pm

I have picked up grab bag white and black loaches that were labeled yoyo and got a hodge podge of great stuff including Histrionica and something strange. The fish are beautiful. I don't really care wht they are. :)

raedeon

Post by raedeon » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:14 pm

zenins wrote:
starsplitter7 wrote:I think Histrionica are a bit seasonal. I have only found them twice in 5 years. Very nice fish. Better than Yoyos in many ways.
I rarely see them in the fish shops, but I purchased 3 a few months ago that were labelled as Histrionica.
They were pretty small to tell for sure if they are Histrionica.
I am growing them up to see for sure.

I have one that is over 5 years old and is more than 5 inches, and yes, I like it much more than a Yoyo :wink:
They are on sale in the Durham/East Toronto area constantly recently. I don't have room for any, or I'd have picked some up during the Black Friday "Buy 1 loach get 1 for a dollar" sale at Big Als.
21 Sids :o

fain

Post by fain » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:17 pm

Good to hear they are still out there! Mine were listed as golden zebra loaches (not to be mistaken with zebra loaches: botia striata). I want to avoid shipping. My tank is only so big and I don't want another mystery loach like my last one. Looked just like histrionics for about 4 months then provided ample prof to be nothing of the sort. Fast growing, aggressive and more like a yoyo than anything else. I hate having to give up a loach, but he was terrorising my striata! I don't want a repeat of that! :(