Looking to Identify loaches, also advice

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Sanguinefox

Looking to Identify loaches, also advice

Post by Sanguinefox » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:33 pm

Hello there and thank you for taking the time to read this. I am not a first time loach keeper. I keep a variety of fish and have always held loaches very close to my heart. Recently I've managed to acquire and get set up an 80 gallon tank. It is cloned from a 20 gallon, and has things brought over from my big 150 gallon. As I go about balancing out both tanks I have a few concerns that really need actual loach keeper's input on.

My first question pertains to the identification of some of the young loaches I brought home. I brought them home four at a time. So I have 8 of these guys happily running around the 80 gallon planted but some of them do not look anything like what they have advertised species wise on the tanks from the store. I am certain 2-4 of them are probably Yoyo Loaches. It's the other half that are in question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITCDeZFiGOE&hd=1 I tried to get some good video but they are still being a bit shy. You should see towards the middle better close up on the straight banded ones. Is it too young to tell what they are? Or can anyone properly ID them? I'd like to know what I have on my hands on what to expect.

My second question pertains to an all too well known issue. Many places simply do not get Golden Zebra Loach/Burmese Loach in very often. Back when I lost part of my Yoyo Shoal I was unable to find old enough yoyo's. (Cannot put babies in the big tank due to a baby eating fish). The pet store had these Burmese loach and they were pricey so I brought two home. Since then the two Burmese and the two yoyo get along great. My original idea was to put all four loach from the big tank into the 80 gallon when ready. I can get more drift wood in the future to accommodate them but will the 80 be too small for the Burmese? I thought about bringing just the two Yoyo over because they would benefit from the shoal but if the Burmese cannot go over too than I end up robbing the Burmese of the other two loaches they actively play with. I want advice to this. Do I keep it the same and leave the four over in the big tank? Do I split them up? Or will all four fit nicely in the 80 gallon.

The stock right now in the 80 is a Betta, 17 Harlequin Rasbora, 1 Peacock Ee1, and 8 juvenile loaches.

Again thank you for the time. If I need better video of the unknown loaches just let me know.

Diana

Re: Looking to Identify loaches, also advice

Post by Diana » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:17 pm

Yoyo Loaches can show quite varied striping patterns through their life, and so can several other species. Perhaps you do have one of the species pictured in the Species Index, but a different stripe pattern.

What the store had on their list and what is in their tanks had not real relationship to each other. Every shipment is subject to contamination, and when they are using common names all bets are out the window. ID the fish you have, not what the store thinks it had.

What is the footprint of the tanks in question? Loaches are bottom oriented fish, and would be quite happy in a long, low, shallow tank compared to a tall tank with less floor space. I would put them in the tank that has the most room for them where they spend their time: Large foot print, plenty of driftwood, rocks, plants and so on.
If any of the options are tall tanks, then use them for fish that live in the upper areas, and stock smaller Loaches in those.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Sanguinefox

Post by Sanguinefox » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:30 pm

Diana wrote:Yoyo Loaches can show quite varied striping patterns through their life, and so can several other species. Perhaps you do have one of the species pictured in the Species Index, but a different stripe pattern.

What the store had on their list and what is in their tanks had not real relationship to each other. Every shipment is subject to contamination, and when they are using common names all bets are out the window. ID the fish you have, not what the store thinks it had.

What is the footprint of the tanks in question? Loaches are bottom oriented fish, and would be quite happy in a long, low, shallow tank compared to a tall tank with less floor space. I would put them in the tank that has the most room for them where they spend their time: Large foot print, plenty of driftwood, rocks, plants and so on.
If any of the options are tall tanks, then use them for fish that live in the upper areas, and stock smaller Loaches in those.
Thank you for your response Diana. I have read that their striping can be varied and I am aware how juveniles can be mixed up in shipments. That said the foot print of the tanks are as follows. The 80 gallon is 4 feet long, 21" high, ad 18" deep. The 150 gallon is 6 Feet long, 23" high, and 18" deep.

I know the 150 gallon which is planted with large java ferns, growing swords, and has several large chunks of driftwood is the most desirable home for all these Loaches. However the babies need to hit at least a good 5" or more before I can consider putting them into that tank. I've got a large bottom dweller fish. As of right now she is a very friendly and tolerant fish. She doesn't bother the Burmese, never snaps at or chases the two smaller but growing Yoyo Loach. However very young tiny juvenile loaches are at risk of being food. So that's part of my issue. I love the 80 gallon being set up now because it's a prefect grow out tank for young loaches. If all the loaches cannot live happily in the 80 as adults I can just as easily transfer them to the bigger tank once old enough and large enough.

EDIT: This is the 80 gallon set up: Image

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:03 pm

I think they could be rostrata, they don't look like histrionicas I've had. But like Diana said, it can be hard to tell with young fish. There's an article on the main site on comparing kubotai vs histrionica vs rostrata. They'll probably be ok together in the 80g.

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:10 pm

Look like b. rostrata to me too. Not so young, they look like about 2.5" or so?

Sanguinefox

Post by Sanguinefox » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:10 pm

NancyD wrote:I think they could be rostrata, they don't look like histrionicas I've had. But like Diana said, it can be hard to tell with young fish. There's an article on the main site on comparing kubotai vs histrionica vs rostrata. They'll probably be ok together in the 80g.
The ladder loach? That is what I thought they looked like. That's a potentially 8" fish. I am hoping that is not what they are. Not that it matters I'll love them and give them a good home no longer what they are so long as they don't up and do a total species swap into a clown loach XD
plaalye wrote:Look like b. rostrata to me too. Not so young, they look like about 2.5" or so?
Yeah they are between 1 to 2 ".

Lil'Gills

Post by Lil'Gills » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:03 am

Whatever they are, they're gorgeous - like all of your loaches and your tanks! I can't wait to see them grow and thrive under your care! :D

fain

Post by fain » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:32 pm

They certainly look like rostrata in your video. I was concerned that I had purchased one by accident last year, so I found myself looking at their photos rather often. The double striping on their sides are very defined. A very attractive fish, but like you said, a bit big.