Botia almorhae question

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Joe Khul

Botia almorhae question

Post by Joe Khul » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:52 am

Hello all,

A quick q; what is the smallest tank size to keep Botia almorhae? As I have posted elsewhere here, I have a 55 gallon tank with small shoals of a few different loaches. Once I have it planted and they are thriving, I wish to add some yo yo's but note that they can be 6 inches long. Please advise.

Thanks!
Kuhli Loaches are like Pringles... you can't have just one!

Diana

Re: Botia almorhae question

Post by Diana » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:17 am

A 4' tank is OK for them, certainly nothing smaller.

A standard 55 gallon is not a very deep tank (front to back) it is quite tall. Lots of gallons, but not a lot of floor space. I am concerned that you already have several other Loaches in there.

Yoyos can be predatory. Mine ate adult Neon Tetras and the Yoyos were not full grown (about 4" long) at the time. Make sure other tank mates are big enough not to get eaten. This requirement alone makes it more of a dedicated tank, Yoyos and a few other fish will max out the bio load. Something like: 6 Yoyos, 8 Congo Tetras, 1 Bristlenose Pleco (for algae, if any). And that is a full load.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Joe Khul

Post by Joe Khul » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:46 pm

Thanks Diana! I was concerned which is why I asked. I am going to focus on expanding the shoals I have and not venture out into new species instead. I figured it would be better to ask first. :mrgreen:

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:12 am

What other Loaches do you have?
Kuhlies, I assume from your sig. You sure can make a good sized group of these in a 55!
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Joe Khul

Post by Joe Khul » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:45 am

I have:

9 dwarf chain loaches ( Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki )
6 zebra loaches ( Botia striata )
6+ P.Kuhli loaches ( Pangio Khuli &/or Pangio Myersi)
3 to 9 Mystery Kuhlis ( either Pangio anguillaris or Pangio doriae )

The + is added because I have not seen some of them on a routine basis so their groups may have grown.

I would have more of the sids or zebras if any of the LFS near me had them regularly. When they do have them I try to snap up as many as possible. Same with the Kuhli's. Around here they are not as hardy as I would like. This makes me prize my survivors more then the rest of my fish.

Joe