30g for kuhkiis

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

cider

30g for kuhkiis

Post by cider » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:03 am

This photo was taken about a year ago, the plastic plants have been replaced with nicer silk plants and will add more rocks and gravel. Anything else needed ? thanks, Georgie
cider

DainBramage1991

Re: 30g for kuhkiis

Post by DainBramage1991 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:08 am

Perhaps a few more small caves and hiding spots?

Other than that, it looks like a good home for small loaches, in my opinion.

cider

Post by cider » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:51 am

Hi Dain, thanks,ok, I will re-scape adding more wood, caves and slate. Got plenty of stuff in my ''fishy stuff trunk

One concern after reading some older threads here, is my filter system. I also have a hydra-sponge filter in there now, PLUS two Marineland/penguin biowheel filters. Are kuhlis they type of fish that might try to jump in the filters ? If so, what can I do to ''cover''the outtakes? or what is needed to protect the kuhlis? Read some disturbing stories of loaches getting into the filters.

thanks again for the scaping ideas :wink: Georgie
cider

DainBramage1991

Post by DainBramage1991 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:10 pm

Well, it's been 25 years since I've kept kuhliis, but my experience with botiine loaches has been that they usually don't jump into the filter unless there is a water quality issue.

To clarify: A few months back I inadvertently added a toxin to my tank. My loaches all survived, but I lost several other fish. During the time from when symptoms started showing to when I finally figured out what the problem was and started treating it (with extra carbon), most of the loaches were trying their best to escape into the filter, some succeeded but were unharmed. Once the carbon started removing the toxin, the loaches stopped trying to escape.

Kuhliis may act similarly, but like all loaches, they may try to escape regardless of water quality. You can lower the water level slightly if you are truly worried about them getting into the filter outlets. As for the inlets, adding a foam or fabric mesh sleeve will prevent the loaches from getting in.

cider

Post by cider » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:59 pm

thanks Dain, appreciate the invaluable info . Today I did my weekly vacuum, added more caves , rocks and slate. Still have to bump up the gravel a bit ,do the foam you suggested, then it's kuhli shopping time ! stoked.

thanks everyone for all your advice to prepare my 30g for the right fish and to keep them happy :)

Georgine
cider