how clean

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

suebob28

how clean

Post by suebob28 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:04 am

hi i have a very large tank with 5 clown loaches and 5 barbas in set up since november last year all ok so far But the only prob is the bog wood and old ship wreck have started to get some kind of fluffy stuff on it and it is taking some time get rid of will it ok to clean the whole tank out or not please ta sue :?

jonstfrancis

Re: how clean

Post by jonstfrancis » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:18 am

Black brush algae?
I've grown fond of it in my tank, it kind of suits the natural look of mine. Although I do pinch some off of the wood and some rocks during water changes to give better feeding ground for hillstream loaches. And I take some pebbles out and rub them clean in the bucket full of removed aquarium water before replacing them. The only part that I find very difficult to keep under control is where it grows on leaves of plants.

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:15 pm

Hi, :) I'm glad your fish are doing OK and want to help with your problem.

I would not clean the whole tank out :!: . I prefer to take small steps with my aquaria. To clean the whole tank out would be very stressful to your fish and damage the biological system you have in place to deal with the fish wastes. You should make changes gradually.

:? Firstly, could we please have a more detailed description of the "fluffy stuff" :?: Is it algae, fungus or something else :?: What colour is it :?:

Also, please describe your aquarium and livestock sizes, feeding, filtration, temperature, Nitrate, lighting duration / brightness etc. It's always best to state these (copy and paste is good).

Pictures are always a good idea on a forum like this one too.

To give you advice on the info given so far would involve so much guessing on my part that I could get my advice wrong.

Please help us to help you. Make the effort and it will be worth it. Thanks :wink: .

I have a dark green furry-looking (non-scientific term LOL!) algae growing on my resin ornaments. When I had a Sailfin Plec everything was cleaned spotless but when I gave him away, I suddenly realised what work he did. Now I have had to get 4 baby bristlenoses but they cannot yet cope with the workload LOL!

I hope you enjoy the pics!

6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

suebob28

Post by suebob28 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:23 am

hi yes mine is the same that is how my tank looks like so i will need to get some fish that will clean it up would upside down fish work thank for your help sue

DainBramage1991

Post by DainBramage1991 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:55 am

Not sure what species you are referring to as "upside down fish"...

In my experience, that moniker usually pertains to catfish in the genus Synodontis, and most commonly to the African upside-down catfish, Synodontis nigriventris. These fish are not specifically algae eaters, so they would not be helpful in your situation. They are, however, fun and interesting additions to an aquarium, provided that conditions are correct for them.

What you want for algae control is a pleco of some sort. Bristlenose (species in the genus Ancistrus) and various other smaller pleco species are usually good choices for this role.

jonstfrancis

Post by jonstfrancis » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:20 pm

Doesn't this algae need water flow to grow well?
I think it can help by keeping things you really don't want covered in brush algae out of the direct flow and in stiller water. It works in my tank anyway.
ps it's scientific name is Audouinella

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:08 pm

But Clown Loaches do best in flowing water.
The algae grows in all areas of my aquarium.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

jonstfrancis

Post by jonstfrancis » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:37 pm

redshark1 wrote:But Clown Loaches do best in flowing water.
The algae grows in all areas of my aquarium.
The brush algae in your tank (which is beautiful by the way) seems to be much shorter than in mine. I'm assuming it is because the plecs graze on it. In some parts of my tank clumps of the brush grow to almost an inch long.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:49 pm

Black Brush Algae, and several other species can be killed this way:

Hydrogen Peroxide (3%) OR Seachem Excel (if you are using generic Excel, carefully figure out the dilution)

1) Figure out what is the maximum dose of either of these in your aquarium. Read the label on the Excel. For H2O2 1ml per (American) gallon is a low dose, fine for the fish. 1.5ml/gal is a bit stronger, usually OK.

2) Turn off anything that moves the water. Filter, power head, bubbler...

3) Use a syringe with no needle and squirt small amounts of either H2O2 or Excel directly into the densest masses of the algae. You might not get it all in one treatment.

4) Let it sit for half an hour, then turn on the equipment again.

5) Before you repeat either of these do a 50% water change.

Repeat as needed until all the algae is dead. Black Brush Algae turns pink or almost red when it dies.

Variation: Drain the tank or remove the decorations one at a time and spray H2O2 directly on the algae. If you are spraying in the tank, but NOT into the water you can use up to 2ml H2O2 per gallon. Let it bubble at least 15 minutes, then refill the tank. As above, do a water change before repeating this.
If you remove decorations to treat, do not do them all in one day. Rotate them so that over about a month they all get treated. This will give the beneficial organisms a chance to recolonize the things between treatments.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alternate method that uses a much higher dose. I have not used this, and do not know if it really is safe for the fish.

Maximize the water movement in the tank. Include at least one power head that you can move around.
Remove nitrifying bacteria (filter media)
Remove Marimo balls. All other plants are OK.
Use the actual water volume, not some assumed value.
Dose is 4 tablespoons per 10 gallons (American gallons) of 3% H2O2.
Duration is 15 minutes.
During that 15 minutes move the power head around and aim it directly at the worst of the algae.

Do a 50% or more water change.

Next day dose with 5 ml per 10 gallons Excel. (This is the highest dose on the label).
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:18 pm

I would add that Excel will kill some plants, vallisneria & anacharis are the main 2.

andrew45

Post by andrew45 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:10 am

Tank should be cleaned with usual soap or chemical residue. The process should be start with glass cleaning
on the inside with the help of algae pad. For this purpose algae scrapers should be used, from long handled
scrubbers to magnetic scrubbers.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:29 am

Andrew, this tank is not a new set up, it is running and inhabited. Algae scrubbing brushes can work on flat glass, but do not clean driftwood or rock very well.

Do not clean a tank that is set up and running with any sort of soap, window cleaner or anything else that is not specifically labeled as safe for the flora and fauna in your tank.

I have some new info about the method I posted above.
Do not use the higher rate of H2O2.
1 ml per gallon of 3% H2O2 is fine. More can be risky.

Safest method:
Remove the things from the tank and treat them with any strength H2O2, bleach or Excel (never mix materials) then rinse really well before returning them to the tank. If you use bleach include a double dose of dechorinator in the rinse water.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!