New Loach Owner, need some advice.

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ships_a_hoy

New Loach Owner, need some advice.

Post by ships_a_hoy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:26 pm

Hello everyone :) ! I recently decided to get back into fish keeping after about an 8 year break. I had never had loaches before so I purchased 3 golden dojo's. They have done well over the past month and have been very fun to watch. Recently, I noticed what I thought was ick, but than at a closer look I'm pretty sure it is the sand from the bottom sticking to them. It is patchy, and all over two of them, but hardly on the third. They also seem to be less active. They will lay on the bottom in the open during the day, which is a bit abnormal. Is this just a mood swing due to the changing season (I know they are pressure sensitive) or are they actually sick?

In addition to my question above, any other just basic loach keeping tips or tricks for someone not new to fish, but new to loaches?

Thanks for all the help. :D
-Ship

jonstfrancis

Re: New Loach Owner, need some advice.

Post by jonstfrancis » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:38 pm

They will lay about on the bottom during the day as they enjoy being active for (long?) periods during the night. Don't be surprised to find them lying asleep on the bottom, under the substrate with just their mouth and barbels showing, on a stone, suspended bizarrely on a plant or on the filter. I have two and they often sleep side by side, tip to tail on the bottom.

DainBramage1991

Post by DainBramage1991 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:12 pm

Please be certain whether it is sand or ich you are seeing. Loaches are very prone to ich, and starting treatment quickly can make the difference between them returning to health or dying a slow, uncomfortable death.

ships_a_hoy

Post by ships_a_hoy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:54 pm

Here is a picture of the largest one. The quality is medium, and it is easiest to see the spots on the clear end of the tail.

Do the gills look a little red as well?

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:48 am

It looks like it could be ich so the picture suggests further examination is necessary.

I can't comment on the gills as I am unfamiliar with this species but ich does damage the gills particularly.

I would check with a hand lens or even take out the fish briefly and see if it is sand with my fingertips feeling for the gritty character of the grains.

The latter would be a last resort before considering treatment as it would stress the fish and risk damage.

I would hope a lens would determine it but after all this is a life and death situation for your fish so it is essential you are able to make a diagnosis and if necessary begin the appropriate treatment swiftly.

I'm unsure as to the best advice for treatment with this cooler living species. I use a heat treatment which may not be appropriate in this case.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

Dojosmama

Post by Dojosmama » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:55 pm

If you can't determine it with a magnifying glass, net him out gently and gently run your fingers over the white spots. If they rub off, it's probably just sand. I would think that ick would appear on other parts of its body than merely its tail.

As for other advice for keeping dojos: Cool water, no warmer than 72F, a tight lid on the tank so they can't escape, good tank maintenance with good filtration, plenty of hiding places and no sharp objects that can injure them.

You might want to read my thread, KEEPING DOJOS HAPPY, which my little aquatic pets insisted I post (LOL!). Mine are about as spoiled as they can get.

Another thing about dojos is that you will often see them darting to the surface to gulp air, then shooting back down to the substrate. This is normal. They can store oxygen within themselves. While they shouldn't be allowed to escape, if they do, they can live for a short time outside of water, providing they don't dry out. It's best to prevent escapes by keeping a tight lid on the tank and sealing off with duct tape any holes big enough for them to slip through.

Aquatic puppy dogs!

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:21 pm

You should put the loaches in a sepret tank with a ich treatment that will NOT harm the fish if they dont have ich.