Hello Loach folk--input please for a 20 gal. long tank

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

peterl

Hello Loach folk--input please for a 20 gal. long tank

Post by peterl » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:07 pm

Hello Loach folk,

I come asking for advice. I am an accomplished South American fishkeeper. I just set up a 20 gallon long tank (30x12x12 inches, 76x30x30 cm) in my office. I was originally going to keep a shoal of Yunnanilus cruciatus, along with some sort of upper tank fish with similar tank requirements. I bought 6 Danio roseus to cycle the tank with the intention of returning them once the tank is ready. In general I find danios to be a bit annoying with the constant motion, but I have taken a liking to these.

So, the plan is to add another 10 or 12 Danio roseus, but I don't know what to keep with them.

The current set up is: 20 gal. long tank, EcoComplete substrate, a bunch of small java fern plantlets, a smallish anubias, some coconut shells and a couple of river rocks. Lighting is one 14 watt T5. The tank is heated to 80F (27C) with a non-adjustable heater. There is a lot of water movement provided by an an Aquaclear 150 HO and an Aquaclear 20 power head with the venturi tube connected. So, it is a hot, well aerated, high water movement tank.

I can get Hara minuscula, but I can't find too much info on their requirements. Do you kind folk have any suggestions for a bottom fish for this tank?

Thanks!

Peter

Jim Powers

Re: Hello Loach folk--input please for a 20 gal. long tank

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:19 pm

Hillstream loaches would be a nice choice. They like the same high flow water conditions as the danios and are very interesting fish to keep.
However, the temps will probably shorten the life of the danios and the hillstreams would prefer it a bit cooler too. Have you thought of just taking the heater out altogether? Both the danios and the hillstreams would be fine at room temp and the oxygen level of the water will be higher with cooler water temps.

peterl

Post by peterl » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:20 pm

Jim Powers wrote:Hillstream loaches would be a nice choice. They like the same high flow water conditions as the danios and are very interesting fish to keep.
Thanks! I was thinking of them, but I fear the temperature is too high. There is nothing keeping me from using an adjustable heater, though.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:21 pm

Well, I was editing my post as you posted. Look at it again. :D

Post by 021414 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:50 pm

I think Pangio oblongas would be nice. Maybe 10 of them.
temporary 20g high - 1x Pangio kuhlii, 5x Pangio oblongas, and 6x Puntius tetrazonas

Lupine

Post by Lupine » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:24 am

In my experience Hara species are not strong enough swimmers for a strong current like a hillstream setup. They are also VERY secretive and will only come out if provided with lots of cover-plants, rocks, wood etc., they dont like open spaces.