Decor for clown loaches?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Arden

Decor for clown loaches?

Post by Arden » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:21 pm

Hello,

I am in the planning stages of aquascaping a tank for clown loaches.

I will be using a mix of plant subtrate and probably light "natural" pea gravel....

Live plants of course. Low tec, no co2

What I am interested in here are ideas for hiding places.

In the past I have gotten some of the traditional "natural" decor pices.

Last tank crash my husband broke a large pice all to bits because he was worried our oldest loach was still inside.

He wasn't. He was hiding on the substrate "laying down"

He didn't want to come out of the tank...

Anyways... So here's what I need.

I am looking for ideas for natural items that will work well for an aquascape. Be functional in that they allow the clowns to feel safe and hidden but at the same time won't allow for them to "get stuck"

I can just imagine right now spending 100s of dollars on pices with holes only to have my husband break them to bits again.

So what are your thoughts? Ideas?

DainBramage1991

Re: Decor for clown loaches?

Post by DainBramage1991 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:19 am

My clowns absolutely LOVE the stack of 2" PVC pipes I have in my tank. They ignore the terracotta pots and slate caves for the most part.

The PVC can be made to look more natural, if that's what you're aiming for.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:42 am

As suggested by DainBramage maybe some PVC pipes covered with gravel using some aquarium silicone, and even moss and anubias on top would make the natural looks and please the loaches too.

Arden

Post by Arden » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:56 pm

Yea that's kind of the direction I've been leaning in...

What about driftwood?

Arden

Post by Arden » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:07 am

Also... why 2inch pvc? why not 3 or 4 inch?

I was just curious because my oldest loach is right at 6 inches long and 2 inch pipe seems a little small in my mind

DainBramage1991

Post by DainBramage1991 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:48 pm

Mine are still juveniles, the largest at just over 3". The 2" pipe was originally bought for the benefit of my smaller loaches, and the clowns share it with them.

When the clowns get a bit bigger, In plan on replacing the 2" pipe with 3", which should be large enough for several years.

I also have driftwood, slate, and terracotta pots making a rather large number of available hiding spots in the tank. The clowns almost universally hang out in and around the PVC pipes.

Arden

Post by Arden » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:17 pm

When you say a stack are they glued together? The pvc?

I'm probably going to head over to the hardware store this weekend and look for supplies. Do I need a special glue? Or can I just use something like a hot glue gun?

I've used flower pots in the past... No intrest from the loaches what so ever

I have a pice of "fake" driftwood they ALL want... Its the most popular place in the tank

I offer several options but that is "the" place to be... I'm hoping I can get them interested in other places as well... I have heard that the most places they have where they enjoy hiding the more secure they feel and the more likely they are to venture out more often.

DainBramage1991

Post by DainBramage1991 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:30 pm

I have the pipes stacked in a pyramid configuration, with 3 on the bottom, 2 on the second row, and 1 on top. The second row is held together with aquarium silicone. PVC cement could also be used, but I believe that the silicone may be safer. In both cases, it is imperative that you wait at least 24 hours after gluing before adding the items to the tank. It also helps to clean the PVC thoroughly after you cut it to length. Don't use soap. Ever. I cleaned mine using hot water and paper towels. In the past I've also boiled the pieces for short amounts of time. Not really necessary, but good for piece of mind.

You can cement as much of it together as you like (even none of it if the base of the stack is secure). By all means, experiment with it to find what suits your tastes, and that of your loaches.

Simple, but effective, and the fish like it:

Arden

Post by Arden » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:55 am

Awsome!

I went today and got some 4" elbows and some driftwood and a few more plants.

They seemed to really dig all the new spots... and they got a lot more active.

They're happy, I'm happy :)

Arden

Post by Arden » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:08 am

Awsome!

I went today and got some 4" elbows and some driftwood and a few more plants.

They seemed to really dig all the new spots..

Loach Dance!

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:41 pm

You can use wood +/or rocks too, for a more natural look. It's all good if your loaches are happy & you like the look.