Catching sewellia lineolata fry/juveniles

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

shuwae

Catching sewellia lineolata fry/juveniles

Post by shuwae » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:18 pm

How do you catch them? I have always taken apart my whole tank, or most of it, to get all the fry or juveniles out, using two nets. I do not want to do that this time as I hate bothering the parents and other sewellias in the tank. Is there an easier way to catch them? I have about 10 babies to catch so I can give them away to a friend. I do not want any fry but the parents and spotted sewellias are not eating all the eggs. I am not looking to add any stock except shrimp but shrimps do not eat all the eggs too from past experience. Plus they tend to get sucked up the gravel vac during water changes and I have to manually take them out of the buckets. I tried tricking them with food in one spot but the babies swim away once they see the nets.

shuwae

Re: Catching sewellia lineolata fry/juveniles

Post by shuwae » Fri May 03, 2013 1:11 am

Hmm, not sure why but this time, the young fry were very easy to catch. Only used one medium net and did not have to move the rocks, driftwood, or plants. Caught 7 and thought I got them all but saw two smaller ones in the tank. Plus a baby assassin snail. Now, I just have to see how I am going to get rid of future eggs/fry I do not need.

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri May 03, 2013 10:30 pm

Put a clear plastic or glass over them and lift them off the side of the tank with a credit card. They will flip themselves over onto the inside of the glass. Keep the credit card over the glass to keep the fish inside.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

mattyd

Post by mattyd » Tue May 07, 2013 11:43 pm

I use a small, a medium and a large softdrink bottle with the bottle-top end cut off. I also drill lots and lots of holes in the base of the bottles. 3 sizes means i have a choice at which one to use, depending on where the fish are and what obstacles I have in the tank.

The holes in the bottle help with putting the bottle into the tank quickly, because all the air escapes out of the holes. I can move the bottle around in the tank quickly without pouring water everywhere.

I place it up against the fish on the glass and move the bottle up or sideways until the fish swims into the cut-off bottle bit. I can then lift the bottle up, which will safely drain lots of water out leaving a small puddle in the bottom with the captured fish.

I wish that local fish stores had something similar to this for catching the hillstream loaches/borneo suckers that they sell.
5ft long rocky hillstream tank - Sewellia lineolata and spotted... and lots (and lots) of spotted fry
8ft Clown loach tank: 30+ clown loaches, 10+ Yoyos.
6ft tank for 16x botia kubotai, 13x Striata, 6x Sidthimunki - I need more sids

shuwae

Post by shuwae » Wed May 08, 2013 4:34 pm

Thanks all. I just have a hard time getting the fry to swim out of the pile of rocks I have. When they get onto the glass, it is easy to get them into the net. I just hate moving all my rocks and driftwood to chase around the fry as it scares the adults. I was thinking of a trap or something but have no idea how to even start one.

mattyd

Post by mattyd » Mon May 13, 2013 3:36 am

You can make a trap using Zucchini as bait (if they eat zucchini - mine do, and this is a trap that I've used).

Get softdrink bottles. Cut them carefully where the neck of the bottle meets the main part of the bottle. This neck can be turned around back inside the bottle, and hopefully it will fit super snug. You might need to try it with a few bottles before you perfect one end fitting inside the other.

I punch holes in the end of the bottle. And place a few stones into the bottle, and then some zucchini and then push the funnel end back into the bottle. If you want the tiny fry, you'll need to leave the bottle top on but cut a small hole inside the cap. If you want bigger fish, leave the bottle top off. You will probably get adults as well.

My suggestion is to just pull the tank fully apart and catch the fry out without obstacles. Then just re-arrange the tank and do a few small water changes over the next two days. The stress and then water changes might trigger another spawn.
5ft long rocky hillstream tank - Sewellia lineolata and spotted... and lots (and lots) of spotted fry
8ft Clown loach tank: 30+ clown loaches, 10+ Yoyos.
6ft tank for 16x botia kubotai, 13x Striata, 6x Sidthimunki - I need more sids

shuwae

Post by shuwae » Wed May 15, 2013 7:45 pm

Interesting. I may try that when I decide to give away more fry. Mine do eat zucchini but not as much as the Repashy I feed them. If I do not end up making the trap, I guess taking out all the rocks and stuff is the best way but I think I will wait until I get a big amount of fry/juveniles.

Danelle Vivier

Post by Danelle Vivier » Fri May 24, 2013 9:11 am

I'm shocked to read that you want to prevent the sewellias from reproducing. I'd be oh too happy to get sewellias to spawn, IF I can get hold of sewellias in this country!

shuwae

Post by shuwae » Fri May 24, 2013 2:32 pm

It is because no one local keeps or even knows about hillstream fish. Local hobbyists are more into cichlids and goldfish/koi which is why we have clubs for those types of fish only. I have been giving away some to my co-worker and selling some online. I just do not have time for shipping and stuff as I go to school full time for my master's degree and work. If I can find more time, of course I would keep them but no luck on time right now.

Danelle Vivier

Post by Danelle Vivier » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:38 pm

No problem, I understand. I'ts a pity that not many people know about these fish.

shuwae

Post by shuwae » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:29 pm

Yes, they are beautiful but I guess some people go for the more aggressive type fish.

Here is a photo of some fry I found in the canister. About 30 or so, different sizes. I just dumped the dish back into the main tank for the fry to fend for themselves. Most likely eaten by the panda garras I have: