Clown Loaches doing something interesting - thoughts?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Arden

Clown Loaches doing something interesting - thoughts?

Post by Arden » Fri May 10, 2013 1:02 am

So I have a total of 6 clown... 4 of which are juvenile 2 of which are about "mature" ....one is pushing 7 the other is about 4 or 5? Anyway... I noticed today... and seen in the past... my oldest loach and the second oldest swimming together like they're magnetically stuck.

They don't appear to be fighting... they arnt sticking out there little barbels or being overly agressive... they just seen to swim around like they're velcroed together...

Has anyone else observed this with there clowns?

Loachloach

Re: Clown Loaches doing something interesting - thoughts?

Post by Loachloach » Fri May 10, 2013 10:42 am

I haven't seen it but I read this is typical for clown loaches and they are not sure why they do it.
Can we get a video :D

Arden

Post by Arden » Fri May 10, 2013 12:35 pm

I'll try to get ine next time I see them doing it... and I'll also try and see if I can figure out How to post it. I still can't figure out pictures or links on this site. .

But I'll. definately try ti catch it on film.... its a curious looking thing...

Gorge the younger of the two often sets on Luckies back.. Lucky is the oldest... Its weird... like stacked legos... and then I have noticed them doing the tandom swimming velcro style now twice...

they're such funny fish

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Fri May 10, 2013 12:39 pm

I think it's called "shadowing"

What website are you using to upload pictures?
After you upload them to a photobucket or imageshack website, then you copy the link and use the "Img" button on the reply window options above to insert it.
For a video, you can just directly copy the video link where you uploaded it and paste it here.

DainBramage1991

Post by DainBramage1991 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:22 pm

Shadowing is normal behavior for loaches. All of my loaches, not just the clowns, do this from time to time. I think it may have something to do with establishing the pecking order.

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Sun May 12, 2013 3:12 pm

My males do this with my females.

Never the other way around.

Never same sex either.

It looks so much like spawning behaviour that I would be surprised if it is anything else.

No eggs have been released however.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sun May 12, 2013 4:19 pm

Interesting Redshark. Maybe it is. We know so little of their spawning behaviour.
Mine are young but I still have to figure which is a male and which female.

DainBramage1991

Post by DainBramage1991 » Sun May 12, 2013 6:25 pm

If it's spawning behavior, then my loaches are very confused. I've seen them shadow rainbows, featherfins, and even cories. About the only fish I have that doesn't get shadowed from time to time is my sailfin pleco.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sun May 12, 2013 10:30 pm

DainBramage1991 wrote:If it's spawning behavior, then my loaches are very confused. I've seen them shadow rainbows, featherfins, and even cories. About the only fish I have that doesn't get shadowed from time to time is my sailfin pleco.
Have you happened to take a video of them doing it with other fish? I would quite like to see how a clown loach would shadow a cory :lol:

DainBramage1991

Post by DainBramage1991 » Mon May 13, 2013 12:57 am

It's actually fairly rare that I catch my clowns shadowing, usually it's my other loaches that do it. I have one small histrionica in particular that loves to race around shodowing the other fish seemingly at random.

It's quite a sight to see a 3" loach chasing an 8" featherfin catfish around the tank. :lol:

Sorry I don't have any videos to share. I'll try to shoot some, but the loaches are strangely camera shy, so I can't make any promises.