New Hillstream loaches.

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Bustoff

New Hillstream loaches.

Post by Bustoff » Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm

Hey guys. Need some help in identifying some new Hillstream loaches i picked up at my LFS. I was lucky this time as i was able to pick up some great looking "contaminants " from a batch of common Gastromyzon ctenocephalus.

All the new loaches are doing great. Eating like mad. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Mark
50 Gallon Hill stream setup.
Last edited by Bustoff on Fri May 24, 2013 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

shuwae

Re: New Hillstream loaches.

Post by shuwae » Thu May 23, 2013 5:39 pm

I'm not sure about the others but the last one is a gastromyzon viriosus. The first one might be a g. zebrinus but not too sure. Jim usually knows his gastromyzons so hopefully he sees and replies to your thread. Great find though as the g. viriosus is hard to find in these mixed batches of gastromyzon.

f1sleepy

Post by f1sleepy » Thu May 23, 2013 10:12 pm

Yeah I believe the first one is G. Zebrinus, the second and third pics may be Homaloptera Zollingeri, and the last one is definitely G. Viriosus as already stated. I am very jealous of the the Viriosus BTW, as I have been looking for them for years with no luck!

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Thu May 23, 2013 10:14 pm

I would agree the first is zebrinus and the last one is viriosus, which are both great finds. But the other two are most likely Hypergastromyzon humilis which are much more difficult to find. Congratulations!!
Please keep us posted on how they do.
I am very envious since I only have one viriosus and have never seen any Hyergastromyzon :D

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Fri May 24, 2013 4:52 am

Thanks for the quick responses. I was just at the right place at the right time. The LFS where i purchased the loaches is sometimes know to carry rare or odd species.But i think its more by accident. Since the place is very small. The Hypergastromyzon humilis seems to be of a more carnivorous species. He really goes after the bloodworms, brine shrimp and glassworms i feed him. He does nip at the algae and algae waffers also. One thing i have noticed is that he is very active. And not shy at all. He will even challenge the much bigger Gastromyzons in the tank for rock supremacy. As for the Gastromyzon viriosus. Shy at first,but after few days all was well. I will be going back to the LFS to see if they brought any new batches in. As the owner said he would. By the way i was able to get 2 G. viriosus but only one Hypergastromyzon humilis.And one G. Zebrinus. So just got very very lucky. I will post more pics down the road. Maybe youtube a video :D .

Mark

f1sleepy

Post by f1sleepy » Fri May 24, 2013 1:10 pm

What store is it? It may be worth a little drive for me one day if it isn't too far. I'm in San Diego.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri May 24, 2013 1:15 pm

Keep us posted.
There are a couple of things I have read about H. humilis that you might want to remember. Apparently they tend to be a bit more sensitive and are not always easy to keep. They also do not do well with more aggressive hillstreams such as Sewellia and Pseudogastromyzons.
Yours sounds like it is doing very well so hopefully these things will not be an issue.
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/hy ... n-humilis/

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Fri May 24, 2013 7:48 pm

@ f1sleepy. Elliotts For Pets in Riverside,CA. Small pet shop but one if not the only place that gets "butterfly plecos " in my area. Like i said it's hit and miss.

@ Jim Powers. Yes i will keep you posted. I will post a link to a quick video when i get a chance to make one. :D

Mark

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Sat May 25, 2013 3:45 pm

Short video of Hypergastromyzon humilis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbEBnsaLkVs

Gastromyzon viriosus

Random shot.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat May 25, 2013 5:22 pm

Nice!

mattyd

Post by mattyd » Sun May 26, 2013 11:43 pm

I saw a good dozen of those hypergastromyson species at a fish store near by, but didn't buy them because I didn't have a tank set up ready for them. Maybe I should go back and get them since they might feed okay on live food ( which is easier to provide that lots of algae).

Can you provide us with some whole-tank shots? So we can see how you have it set up, what the tank dimensions are, how you filter it and provide the light, etc.

Your fish and rocks look incredible, by the way.

Matt
5ft long rocky hillstream tank - Sewellia lineolata and spotted... and lots (and lots) of spotted fry
8ft Clown loach tank: 30+ clown loaches, 10+ Yoyos.
6ft tank for 16x botia kubotai, 13x Striata, 6x Sidthimunki - I need more sids

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Tue May 28, 2013 4:35 am

@MAtt. Yes i sure can do that. I will post my info etc.. later on today.I'm at work right now. :(

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Tue May 28, 2013 4:44 pm

Okay. My hillstream setup is as follows.Custom Aqaurium. (In inches)36LX20Wx18H .Roughly 50 US Gallons. Give or take a gallon or two.
Filters= Fluval 406
Eheim pro 2222
Aquaclear 70 HOB.
LIghting= I use LED's Two 36inch 42watt led. 35x1watt white led's 7x1 watt blue led's.
One 8 inch fan to keep the water cool in the summer months.
One air stone running 24/7
For water flow i use a Hydor Koralia. 1200GPH flow rate. (on durning the day off at night.) Fish love it.
In the picutre below i removed the smaller Hydor(on the right) when i got my Fluval 406 filter.

mark

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Tue May 28, 2013 5:57 pm

Nice set up!
I am curious, though as to why you shut off the flow at night?
Also, what all do you keep in this tank?

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Tue May 28, 2013 6:01 pm

@Jim. No reason. Thier is still plenty of flow with the Hydor turned off. The fluval 406 pushes a lot of water. I guess just to mix up current flow.