clown loach newbie

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

daland

clown loach newbie

Post by daland » Sun May 26, 2013 2:13 pm

Hello all!
I have been lurking on the forum for about a month now and I finally decided to create an account.Seems like a great site with some great advice!
I am currently coming to the end of acclimating a 150 gal (approx) tank. Initially, it was intended to house an oscar and one or two other tank mates. In the meantime, I have been awestruck by the clown loach (who can resist?).
Before subjecting myself, and my potential new family members, to a horrible fate; I am seeking advice.

Setup is as follows:
Tank: ~150 gal (48" long x 24" wide x 30" deep)
Filtration: 2 x (Emperor 400 HOB) and an Eheim 2227
Lighting: Various options (low to moderate 2 x 54 watt t5s)
Substrate: rounded / flat pebble
Decoration: Driftwood (1 large; two smaller) with some extra rock. More of anything can easily be added for hiding spots.
Water conditions: Obviously the Ammonia / Nitrite / Nitrate will be 0 before adding.
pH resides between 7.5 and 8.0
Water is hard: 200-300 ppm with incredibly high Alkalinity

My question:
Being familiar with only what I have learned online about CL, I am seeking advice from those who have been here before.
Obvious concerns are
1. Tank length
2. pH
3. Water hardness
I am looking to stock 5 or 6 CL with some small dither fish.
Also, a possible longer tank is becoming a thought for the next 1 or 2 year plan.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Currently a water softener is not a possibility and I do not want to begin the mess of playing with pH.
I would rather house fish which can sustain in the conditions rather than continually fight a losing battle. Better for me; better for my fish.

(FYI: have a few other established tanks; 55 planted community with platys, Boesemani rainbows, and bushynose plecs; 75 gal goldfish; few smaller)