goldfish and loach

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

daland

goldfish and loach

Post by daland » Sun May 26, 2013 2:22 pm

From various online searches and LFS information (which I have learned to never trust), I have seen where weather (dojo) loaches can co-exist with fancy goldfish. Even though the temperature looks good, I am always hesitant to place ANYTHING in a goldfish tank.

Anyone have experience in this area?

(Goldfish include: Calico Ryukin; Black Moor; Red fantail; (upcoming) Red Cap).
75 gallong tank with some hiding places and rounded pebbles as substrate with 2 x Aquaclear 300
If possible, looking to add 3 dojos.

Doc

Re: goldfish and loach

Post by Doc » Mon May 27, 2013 5:54 am

I know a couple of people who have tried it and it has worked but in those cases they had large Goldfish and in a very large tank. The Goldfish were around 6" in diameter and solid built. The Loaches were a group of 6 and I believe this helped as they mostly kept to themselves. When i kept fancy Goldfish with my weather loaches they were harassed to the point of nipped fins and abrasions on their sides as the Weather Loach never really left them alone. My Goldies were small though, between 2" and 3" in diameter and the the Loaches were 4-6" in length.

Going on my experience and the other stories and examples I have come across where it hasn't worked I would prefer to recommend that normal Goldfish types are better companions for Weather Loaches. f you still want to try it then big Fancy Goldfish and a large group of small Weather Loach to begin with in a large tank. Lots of hiding places for the loaches to explore and hideaway in and be prepared to remove any Goldies that don't take well to the loaches.
So many species of fish yet so little time, space and money to keep them all...