Kuhli Loaches, what species?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

joeybab3

Re: Kuhli Loaches, what species?

Post by joeybab3 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:43 am

Are those real plants on the top of the tank loachloach? :lol: i can't tell from here...
______________________________________________________________________________________
60 gallon All loach tank
20g salt
10g goldfish
http://loachcam.joeybabcock.me

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:12 am

joeybab3 wrote:Are those real plants on the top of the tank loachloach? :lol: i can't tell from here...
He, he, yes, they are house plants growing in the trickle filter :)

Post by 021414 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:33 pm

They look like Pangio kuhlii to me. They tend to be more shy than Pangio oblonga (also known as the Java loach), but when in established groups they become rather boisterous. I know I'm really late on this thread, but I would recommend adding some tall plants, maybe some amazon sword that can grow up. The low light that you have going in the pictures is great for the kuhli loaches, but you could definitely achieve the same subdued lighting effect if you plant heavier and add some caves (cichlid stones work well). The idea is usually, the more places they can hide and feel safe, the more likely you are to see them out and about. I love the plants growing out of the tank though, its really quite nice!
temporary 20g high - 1x Pangio kuhlii, 5x Pangio oblongas, and 6x Puntius tetrazonas

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:24 pm

Thanks 021414. I would have planted it but back of the tank has a big internal filter and a sponge intake for the trickle filter so I can't plant conventionally as there are too many obstructions to actually plant it, the bottom is covered with stones, coconut caves and leaf litter so I don't have physically any place to plant. The fine play sand won't grow plants well unless I dose ferts which I am reluctant to. There are manzanita branches and floating hydrophila and other stems I've trown in there that reach halfway through the tank so there's cover on top too. I can actually a few of the kuhlis every time I look so being on their own in there besides the shrimp seems to make them brave enough.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:48 am

I forgot to post a video I made a few weeks ago. The kuhlis are fattening up, I can notice the females now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOJNiH8tj5c

Post by 021414 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:49 pm

How cute! They look great. Don't be surprised if some of your shrimp go missing... My loaches have orchestrated the "disappearance" of many shrimp that happened upon their aquarium.
temporary 20g high - 1x Pangio kuhlii, 5x Pangio oblongas, and 6x Puntius tetrazonas

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:43 pm

I am still trying to figure out whether kuhlis eat shrimp. They certainly don't touch the slightly bigger juveniles and adults as they fight together for food with no fear but they may be snacking on newborns. It's no harm a bit of population control I guess.
I just fed my shrimp tank and the bottom turned into a red carpet :lol: I started with 5 shrimp,now I have them in 4 tanks. They are as bad as snails.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:25 am

A video from yesterday with a couple dancing around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD3qfc838CM